Thread: Sealing Smoke Odor

Sealing Smoke Odor

We may have an opportunity to renovate and flip a small house with smoke damage. I picked up a recommendation that said to seal the bare wall studs (after removing the wallboard - both drywall and some plaster/lath) with shellac. Can anyone comment on this; is it effective; any better solutions? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Zinsser BIN primer is advertised as being able to seal smoke and other odors.
    Last edited by Jerry Bruette; 01-06-2021 at 6:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I'd rent a large Ozinator.

What about Kiltz after?

Bill

In all the apartments I repaired/repainted with heavy smoke damage, I either used Kilz or Zinsser. Either one.
    Check with your paint store. Fresh start is much more expensive, and not worth the extra cost.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    I'd rent a large Ozinator.

What about Kiltz after?

Bill
    Killz 2 works pretty good at smoke remediation. I don’t know about frame down restoration, though.

Blog Entries
    My sister bought a house that had been repaired after a major fire. It started in the basement, burned through the main floor, attic, and out the roof. All the framing had been sealed with a silver paint and it really did the job. I couldn't smell even a hint of smoke. Then I did some wiring for him & as soon as a hole was drilled it released the strong smell of a camp fire. No idea what brand it was though.

It has to be thoroughly sealed. Without sealing, ozone will do nothing to get rid of the smell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    All the framing had been sealed with a silver paint and it really did the job.
    My uncle used to be a painter while he was studying medicine in the 1950's. He always used aluminum paint as a sealer on exterior wood. Seemed to be a standard back then.
    NOW you tell me...

The shellac-based Zinsser primer works wonders on cat pee, should be great for smoke. Check the label to be sure you're getting the one that use an alcohol solvent, the water based one doesn't particularly work to block either stains or odors.

Shellac is great. It will stick to any finish and any finish will stick to it. At least the traditional alcohol based ones. And it is safe to eta. Many pills are shellac coated.
    Bil lD