Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Softener Questions

Water Softener Questions

We are in the market for a water softener, so I want to know about your experiences. Because softener would be located in a remote building (not close to the house,) how would I handle backwash water? There is no sewer, only fresh water and electricity in the building. Any brands or models to steer clear of? Total novice, seeking experience of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    We are in the market for a water softener, so I want to know about your experiences. Because softener would be located in a remote building (not close to the house,) how would I handle backwash water? There is no sewer, only fresh water and electricity in the building. Any brands or models to steer clear of? Total novice, seeking experience of others.
    I have a Fleck, and it works well (23 years of service.) Parts are readily available, and they’re easy to work on.

As with some other things, it’s cheaper to own than to rent, BTW.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 01-06-2021 at 5:09 PM.

All the backwash and rinse from mine has gone into my sump pit since 1988.
    But I'm lucky and the water table is low enough that I've never needed a sump pump.

I would probably stay away from the consumer models at the BORG and get one from a dealer.

Did you get you're water tested yet? When we had our house built the plumber said we wouldn't need one based on the hardness tests. Two weeks after moving into the house we started to get reddish stains in all the plumbing fixtures. Lucky for us the softener takes care of the iron in our water and we didn't need any other treatment equipment.

If I get another one I'll look for one that refills the brine tank with treated water so that the brine tank doesn't sit with untreated iron laden water in it. My brine tank sorta reminds me of sitting in dirty bath water.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Ours is also a Fleck and we ordered it from a company that supports DIYers. It was easy to install and has worked great for the 7-8 years we've had it. Our discharge is piped to the slop sink in our basement which is connected to public sewers. If anyone wants the name of the company, I'll look it up and report back.

Comments deleted by poster
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-07-2021 at 4:38 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Start here, everything you need if you intend to DIY; https://www.ohiopurewater.com

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Blog Entries
    You will need a place to drain the restoration water and rinse for refreshing the softener.

Get a unit that either senses the hardness or refreshes after a certain number of gallons have been used. The ones that refresh every X number of days waste salt and water.

Get your water tested by an independent lab, before you buy any system. Personally I would avoid Culligan due to price and reliability.

There are several snake oil systems out there that only work to take your money. Magnets cannot soften water.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Renting isn't an option. I've leaning towards the Fleck 5600SXT. The You Tubes I've watched on water softeners has it in their top picks. Amazon (tax not included) less than $600. Figuring what to do with back wash water is my next problem. Due to two houses being on same softener, I'm thinking of doing two units in parallel, with an time based relay alternating the units. Our water system (well and storage tank [1500 gallon] with booster pump) can't exceed the flow capacity of this model

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You will need a place to drain the restoration water and rinse for refreshing the softener.

Get a unit that either senses the hardness or refreshes after a certain number of gallons have been used. The ones that refresh every X number of days waste salt and water.

Get your water tested by an independent lab, before you buy any system. Personally I would avoid Culligan due to price and reliability.

There are several snake oil systems out there that only work to take your money. Magnets cannot soften water.
    All of the above is true. The flush cycle uses quite a bit of water, so you need a sewer to handle it. Don't get me started on the snake oil softeners.

I replaced our softener system a few years ago & did an insane amount of research on them. There are some good forums dedicated to water softeners (who knew) that have lots of good info. The more salt/KG of resin, the longer between regen cycles. But there are diminishing returns because the higher levels of salt don't go as far in softening the water. So I got myself a system with an extra large resin tank & a controller that allows me to program how much salt is used per cycle. It's set at a fairly low level, but because there's lots of resin, the regen cycles are many days apart. I use about 5 bags per year with 2 people in the house that shower & bath a lot.

First, you need an accurate water analysis. I would also get a local good dealer as they know your water issues.

My equipment is made by Aqua. I have a air induction filter which uses air to remove sulfur and iron. Then I have a water softener. This gives me very good quality water.

The backwash probably isn't a huge amount of water. I know it isn't from my acid neutralizer and it's clean water...probably can just go on the ground or a simple dry well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The backwash probably isn't a huge amount of water. I know it isn't from my acid neutralizer and it's clean water...probably can just go on the ground or a simple dry well.
    Reply deleted by OP.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-07-2021 at 4:39 PM.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    It should NOT be drained on the ground. There is salt in tne water and it will poision the ground.
    I've been draining my softener to daylight for 20 years, the weed patch at the end of the pipe is just as vigorous as ever. The amount of salt I discharge is trivial compared to the 1,000's of tons of road salt my state DOT dumps on the ground every winter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I've been draining my softener to daylight for 20 years, the weed patch at the end of the pipe is just as vigorous as ever. The amount of salt I discharge is trivial compared to the 1,000's of tons of road salt my state DOT dumps on the ground every winter.
    Reply deleted by OP.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-07-2021 at 4:40 PM.
    George

We have a Kinetico. Also had an iron filter installed. Because of that, I've considered bypassing the softener.
    It works that well all by itself.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night