Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A3-41 arrived

A3-41 arrived

Ordered in May and got it yesterday. No big deal for me to wait since this is a lifetime purchase.

My shop is in my backyard behind my fence. I have a 55" gate that I thought would be ok, but alas the pallet jack came in on the long edge (72"). So its now sitting in my garage.

63157564708__5C79AF96-65EB-41B6-A4B1-69AA0458B6DE.jpg

IMG_5920.jpg

My mobile base is all ready for it in my shop:

63157640143__18AFC8D5-92D0-42FE-BD4B-D49BCA2C1864.jpg

So here's the plan:

Rent a knock-down engine hoist to raise one side at a time.
    Install (6) heavy duty casters on the 4x4 cross beams under the pallet
    Wheel it into the shop
    Build a platform to go under the base and use the hoist to lift it off the pallet and onto the porta-mate

The J/P is 900 lbs. I'm thinking (6) 250 lb casters are ok (4") - or do I need to go to 330 lb (5")?

go with 4 330lb(5") casters, one in each corner
    with 6 casters almost always will have the crate teetering on the middle set, why the expensive tool boxes with 6 casters have heavy springs built into the casters
    good luck
    Ron

That's awesome, mine can't be far behind.

Hopefully mine (A3-41A) will be here soon, too!
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    go with 4 330lb(5") casters, one in each corner
    with 6 casters almost always will have the crate teetering on the middle set, why the expensive tool boxes with 6 casters have heavy springs built into the casters
    good luck
    Ron

The question is if the pallet is strong enough to not have any support in the middle where a forklift or jack would normally be.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    The question is if the pallet is strong enough to not have any support in the middle where a forklift or jack would normally be.
    Lay some additional 2x lumber on top of the pallet, screwing it down, and then put the machine on it. For that span, it should do the trick for you transporting since most of the machine weight "should" be on its four corners .

Congrats on your new tool!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Lay some additional 2x lumber on top of the pallet, screwing it down, and then put the machine on it. For that span, it should do the trick for you transporting since most of the machine weight "should" be on its four corners .

Congrats on your new tool!
    There's a gap underneath so I should be able to lay 2x6 there without having to pick up the tool, trying to not have to pick it up twice.

What is it?
    Some rigging ideas in the link.

Bil lD

https://www.thecrosbygroup.com/produ...-shaped-links/

Looks like it's got 4x runners full length, and heavy planking across the top.

If the sidewalk is good, I'd lever it up on each end and stuff furniture dollies under it. You probably only need (have room for) 2. Shim as necessary. I moved an 1100+lb safe 3 times with a pair from HD* with no issues, including from the tile in the house onto the slab in the garage. This is much more stable. Just go slow and think out every step.

Onto the mobile base is trickier. I'd probably disassemble the pallet bit by bit until I could get blocks under the middle portions of the base. IOW, leaving clearance for the mobile base so I could assemble it underneath the planer. And then lever it up and pull the blocks one by one. Always tipping it end to end.

My 741 got levered up to put the mobility kit on it. And then rolled down a piece of plywood shimmed with scraps underneath. Same for the KF-700. A few months ago, I pulled both up a fab'd ramp (3/4 ply and 2x4) onto home made pallets to move them from CA to TX. They came out of the truck courtesy of a neighbor's tractor with chains over the bucket, and some large pieces of Bubinga under the pallets. In the dark. Not a scratch on them. Not that it wasn't a bit stressful ;-)

* I think U-Haul has them a bit cheaper.

Congratulations! I just received notice mine (A3-31) is being shipped tomorrow. Thank you for posting pics of the arrival packaging, as it makes me more comfortable with our moving methods.

Sunbelt rentals still rent the hydraulic drop trailers. Buried in the site no category for trailers. United rentals web site only shows two trailers for rent and one is a fuel tank.
    Bil lD

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equip...e-trailer-10k/

Congratulations on the A3-41 planer your going to Love it. I pick up my K3 Winner Comfort on Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    Mine was plenty strong...

I used a 20' tow strapped looped under the cabinet (outfeed-infeed) to lift mine, since that gives you more clearance to get the strap out once it is in the mobile base. The infeed and outfeed sides of the cabinet do not go to the floor like the front and back sides do.

For the rigging, I put the midpoint of the strap over the outfeed table, with the ends passing in front of and behind the outfeed table, down and under the cabinet to the infeed end, up and around (front and back) the infeed table. Used a large shackle to join the midpoint of the strap and the two end loops of the strap over the top of the cutter head, adjusting for center/level (with test lifts not far off the ground.)

I removed anything that was aluminum, plastic, or thin sheet metal, where the strap hit. The electrical box is plastic, and the strap would have put significant side load on it as it came up & around that back corner, so I unscrewed it from the cabinet so it could slide out of the way, without having to undo any wires.

I had to jack up the pallet base on blocks to get the engine lift's legs underneath it. The OP's casters afixed to the skids may give him enough clearance to avoid this.

Be very careful lowering the machine with the engine lift, the release valve to lower the load is very fast, and can drop your machine quickly. I practiced that during the test lifting when the drop was only an inch or two. Glad I did!

Hope this helps...
    -- Andy - Arlington TX

I've had my A3-41 for about 18 months - you'll love it. It has worked perfectly out the box for me, and of course gets utilized for every project.

SB