Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to figure out what to do with this

Blog Entries

I need to figure out what to do with this

Hello all,

So I’ve recently acquired two sets of beautiful quilted maple veneer panels. The bookmatches are 24” long and 18” wide and 7mm thick. I was going to resaw them into proper veneer and bang off some humidors, but they are just so beautiful that I’m doubting my plan. Any ideas?
    98241AAF-1D98-4FD7-84B3-183634657854.jpg201016EA-CE23-44F7-8047-725D4D14D8D7.jpg

Make an electric guitar. Telecasters are straightforward if you've never done one before. Those are really spectacular pieces.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-06-2021 at 12:01 PM.

I would say make a couple frames out of something else and put these in them.

Blog Entries
    They’re truly amazing. I’ve never made an instrument, that’s not a bad idea. I was honestly considering just framing them as art

Wow! Amazing figure. Wish I had a source for stock like that.

I think I might feature that as door panels in a very special cabinet. If you can, definitely resaw to stretch the value of those pieces.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Make an electric guitar. Telecasters are straightforward if you've never done one before. Those are really spectacular pieces.
    Took the words right out of my mouth...and I'd be making multiples with that beautiful stock with a "less beautiful" body core!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I’m kinda storming down the telecaster rabbit hole. Is there any books that would get me started on it? I’m a half decent woodworker, certainly not a rock star, and I don’t play guitar...

Blog Entries
    Also, stock comes from unique woods of the NW. They have tons of gorgeous stock.

Quote Originally Posted by justin byers View Post
    Also, stock comes from unique woods of the NW. They have tons of gorgeous stock.
    Thanks Justin!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

You will find a good level of resource in the TDPRI forum in the "Tele Home Depot" forum area. There's a sticky thread at the top with a good plan, too, although tele plans are very easy to come by with a simple search via Google.
    --

The electric herald has plans. Now, beware, there’s a good deal of hardware to buy, so if you’re not into it, that can be a turn off; half of the project is fiddling with frets and strings and bridge heights. It’s all very doable and fun , but only if you are intrigued by making an instrument.

One bit of advice from the start: Telecasters call for a giant pickuguard which will cover your figure. Make yours withOUT a pickguard.

Find a reason to build a cabinet. These will make a fabulous door highlight. Use Maple for the rest of the cabinet to let these babies get all the huzzahs. Congratulations on your find.

If you're not interested in fiddling with the frets and such, you can buy a prebuilt neck. I bought one from warmoth that was great quality and set up nicely with no adjustments. I also built a neck, glued on a pre-cut fretboard and paid a luthier to set my frets and cut the neck, and that was only a bit more expensive than the prebuilt neck.

Making the neck is so rewarding because it’s perceived to be very challenging to non woodworkers. But with an intermediate woodworker’s eye and tools it is straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

One bit of advice from the start: Telecasters call for a giant pickuguard which will cover your figure. Make yours withOUT a pickguard.
    I solved that issue by doing a rear control cavity (with a cover the same size and shape as normal Tele control plate on the back) and no pickguard. Only my very first one had the pick guard. Controls are mounted through the wood similar to many other guitars.

--