Thread: Suggestions for fastening mdf core table top to base

Suggestions for fastening mdf core table top to base

Appreciate any input on fastening a veneered mdf core table top to the base. It’s 3/4” mdf with commercial thickness veneer. Thinking of using figure 8’s. Planning on 1/2” - 5/8” length screws. It’s a small table, so weight isn’t a huge issue...but you know it will likely be lifted by the top.

I’ve seen suggestions of using sheet metal screws. I also saw a suggestion of glueing in wooden dowels where the screws will go and using regular wood screws. And I’ve seen where CA glue was applied to whatever screw was used.

Any opinions/thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

A variation on the theme would be to use threaded inserts designed for MDF and particle board in the underside of the table with a machine screw through the figure-8. The inserts for this kind of material tend to have more aggressive threading that bites deeper and harder. Using some PVA glue during insertion of the, um...inserts...makes for a very strong solution.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

https://www.amazon.com/Expansion-Fas...ustrial&sr=1-1

Try these paired with threaded inserts like Jim mentioned. Should work good and allow you to remove and retighten over the years.

Thank you Jim and Stewart. Something with inserts seems to be the way to go.

Is your base pretty conventional -- from four legs at the corners, and aprons running from leg to leg? If so, glue will do you just fine.

Thanks, Jamie. I thought about that as well, given I don’t really need to worry about table top movement. The only thing keeping me from doing that is the possibility of needing to remove the top for some reason down the road. I could use a glue that will be easily removable with heat, but there is so much veneer involved (including the aprons), I prefer not to have to go that route. Likely way over thinking it.