Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flush Bolts on french doors

Not impossible to drill. Early on we would drill deep as possible with a horizontal dowel drill machine and finish with a long Electrican drill same size in a hand drill.
    30 years ago we did a door job for Disney World that required 1” hole in stile ends for break away hardware. I don’t remember how deep,24” plus at least. Laid the drill press horizontally with a complex jig and drill extensions. It was hit and miss, ruined a few stiles in the process. Done before door assembly.
    In the end we found out a inlayed groove would have been acceptable. Miscommunication between architect and job supervisor...

So after spending the last 4 days finishing up another project, I've come back around to this flush bolt issue. I spent a few hours today making a simple adjustable jig to (hopefully) guide a long drill bit. Here's the jig:
    IMG_3036.jpgIMG_3037.jpg

The sliding arm is 1.375" thick riftsawn white oak, as I wanted something that wouldn't flex easily. Turns out I coulda used solid steel and it wouldnt have mattered at all. All went well until I reached the point where more of the bit was in the wood than in the jig, and at that point the bit followed the grain literally every time. I tried it on 4 scrap pieces with the same result every time.

I have no problem admitting I was wrong, and in this case its pretty clear that i was totally wrong LOL! So I am going to take the suggestion of a few of you guys and rout a groove into the edge of the door which will be plugged afterword.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, guys.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Thanks for reporting back, although I am not surprised. If it wasn't along the grain or if it was softer wood you'd have had more chance of success.

Finished these doors up a few weeks ago, and forgot to post the final pics! In the end I'm happy with the result. Solid sapele with shop sawn veneers & stave core construction, finished with Sikkens Cetol door & window. The top flush bolt is on a 24" extension rod, which was the reason for the original post in the first place. Weatherstrip is traditional spring bronze. Hinges are Waterson self-closers, expensive as hell but work great. Scribing the casing to the brick was a real hoot.

Looks really nice.

Those look awesome!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Brian
    Beautiful doors. Thanks for sharing this journey with us. I would not have considered drilling but others seemed confident. And turners drill with great control so I believe it can be done.

Nice vise. If you have not tried leather faces you might really like them. Rubber cement right to the metal.

Thanks guys. It was a fun project. A bit stressful at times due to all the different concentric radii that had to line up nicely, but i enjoy a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Hi Brian
    Beautiful doors. Thanks for sharing this journey with us. I would not have considered drilling but others seemed confident. And turners drill with great control so I believe it can be done.

Nice vise. If you have not tried leather faces you might really like them. Rubber cement right to the metal.

Thanks Tom. Leather faces for the Emmert are on my to-do list.

Nice, very nice design and workmanship!

Very nice looking doors. That’s the darkest sapele I’ve ever seen, I like.

Would a cremone to match the handle have been acceptable ? That would be more typical, and easier to use.

And install

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Nice, very nice design and workmanship!

Thanks Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Very nice looking doors. That’s the darkest sapele I’ve ever seen, I like.

Would a cremone to match the handle have been acceptable ? That would be more typical, and easier to use.

And install
    Thanks Dave.

The sapele darkened considerably with the application of the "natural" colored Cetol D&W sealer which actually had an amber tint to it (reminded me a lot of the color of amber shellac). The Sikkens Cetol Door & Window finish imparted a really deep tone and nice gentle sheen to the wood without looking really filmy even after 4 coats. I'd use it again for sure.

I considered a cremone but the client didn't want surface mounted hardware, so flush bolts it was. The cremone would have been much simpler to install for sure, although in reality the flush bolts were really not too bad. Just had to think it through and take my time with the layout.

Way too late, I know...

http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/bagpipe/making/drill.html

Basically a gun drill as already suggested, but practical to make. Anything with spiral flutes is going to be too flexible.

Gorgeous doors, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    Way too late, I know...

http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/bagpipe/making/drill.html

Basically a gun drill as already suggested, but practical to make. Anything with spiral flutes is going to be too flexible.

Gorgeous doors, BTW.
    Thanks anyway Wes. I'll keep it under my hat until next time.