Thread: Air drying ash

Air drying ash

I have acquired a 24 inch ash log that I intend to have sawed to two inch slabs. How well does this wood react/behave to air drying?

Ken

The first tree I had milled was an ash. Before SMC, with little knowledge on drying wood. I stacked it in an area that was far from flat, used what I had for stickers without much care, and covered it all with a big landscaping tarp. I had it cut to 5/4”. After a year or so I decided to check on it. Had some mold, mouse nest, hornets etc etc. Cleaned up the stack and it looked ok. Brought it into the shop to acclimate and it was surprisingly flat, came out great once I got past the surface.

So, to answer you question.........I either got lucky, or ash is forgiving to dry. Good luck!

I actually just finished a project with some of it. Worked beautifully and barely moved at all when milled.

Ash is pretty forgiving but as you just read it will stain and/or support mold growth if given a chance. Sticker it properly so air can flow through it and put a rain cover on top and it will be fine.

John

Ash is extremely rated for 2 things. Extremely easy to dry, and extremely susceptible to powder post beetle. Fresh cut ash is like candy to PPB. Don't even think of cutting it until you have some borax based preventative pesticide. I had to burn hundreds of board feet of ash stored on the family farm. Some of it 26" wide.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 01-07-2021 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Ash is extremely rated for 2 things. Extremely easy to dry, and extremely susceptible to powder post beetle. Fresh cut ash is like candy to PPB. Don't even think of cutting it until you have some borax based preventative pesticide. I had to burn hundreds of board feet of ash stored on the family farm. Some of it 26" wide.
    That must depend upon where you live or how the wood is stored. Here in NY I have never had a problem with bugs getting into my ash lumber, green or dry.

John

I have air dried thousands of bf of ash in NY Fingerlakes very successfully. About 1" per year to about 12%. No Powder Post in any. It end checks easily so be certain to seal the ends of the log. Any stress in the log and it will crack. I use Anchorseal and apply it within a day or two of when I cut it. Stack it up off the ground, cover the top, and dry a bit slowly. Enjoy it while it is still available!

I cut maybe 2-3k board feet of white ash a year and have never seen a PPB in 13 years at the sawmill. I'm in northern NY too. 4/4 goes in a loft, stickered, 8/4 goes on an old warehouse cart on the ground floor, it's too heavy to toss up into the loft. Most of it is sold either green or dry or partly dry, it's pretty forgiving and easy to handle.

I appear to way south of you guys and have problems with PPB. So will follow you lead plus treat for beetles. Thanks gentlemen.

Ken