Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A connection to the color of old grey machinery

Blog Entries
    I am surprised by how much I like that non-metallic grey that Toyota has (and similar colors from others). I mean it's just plain grey, but it looks really good.

I'm also not a fan of the currant and ongoing love affair that the auto industry has with "shades of grey". The "fun" colors only seem to be available on certain vehicles, such as a Jeep Wrangler or Subaru Crosstrek. When you're lucky, you might find a muted/wilderness green, some form of brown and maybe a deeper red. Most colors are also metallics or pearl coats, too. Some of the "fun" colors actually look great as non-metallics/non-pearls, IMHO.

And yea...I despise black interiors and wouldn't by a vehicle with one even at a greater discount. Unfortunately, my current ride and my previous both had only a saddle/brown interior with black as options. They are darker than I prefer but at least they are not black and have light headliners. I at least was able to have a light colored exterior; while pearl on the current and a light blue pearl on the previous.

All subjective, of course...your opinion may vary for your own reasons.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm also not a fan of the currant and ongoing love affair that the auto industry has with "shades of grey". The "fun" colors only seem to be available on certain vehicles, such as a Jeep Wrangler or Subaru Crosstrek. When you're lucky, you might find a muted/wilderness green, some form of brown and maybe a deeper red. Most colors are also metallics or pearl coats, too. Some of the "fun" colors actually look great as non-metallics/non-pearls, IMHO.

And yea...I despise black interiors and wouldn't by a vehicle with one even at a greater discount. Unfortunately, my current ride and my previous both had only a saddle/brown interior with black as options. They are darker than I prefer but at least they are not black and have light headliners. I at least was able to have a light colored exterior; while pearl on the current and a light blue pearl on the previous.

All subjective, of course...your opinion may vary for your own reasons.
    I've never seen a car that was only available in gray or equivalent. Every model has various color options, even if those aren't the ones that tend to be stocked. My mother-in-law just got a blue car, for instance. I wanted blue for my car, but the dealership only ever gets one of my car at a time, and the one they had was gray. They were "discounting" that car by selling it at base price despite some upgrades they already added to it (e.g. the carbon fiber on the doors, mirrors, and roof is not stock, they put a clear coating on it, etc.), so if I had them get me a blue one then I would have to pay for any add-ons (e.g. I wanted the clear coating), and of course it would take longer for me to get one. So I took the only one they had, but I'm fine with it. It still looks great. My wife wants her next car to be blue, and from what I've seen pretty much every model out there has a blue available (although you might not like the shade of blue, it's still a "blue").

As for the interior, I prefer the lighter colors, but Supra's are only available with a black interior (generally speaking). My wife's car has a lighter interior, although I don't remember what color options were available when we bought that. I do seem to remember we wanted the lighter interior.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    I've never seen a car that was only available in gray or equivalent. Every model has various color options, even if those aren't the ones that tend to be stocked.
    Hence the quotes around "shades of grey"...not to be taken literally as only grey. When you look at the range of colors on many, if not most, vehicles today, the range is white, silver, greys, black predominantly. Yes, there are some other colors in the mix for a given make/model but many of them are also muted. It just would be nice to have more brighter/interesting color choices, that's all.

I order my vehicles, so I always insure that the color I prefer. Professor Dr SWMBO's MY20 Forester Limited was the first car bought "off the lot" in many years but it was actually the colors (exterior and interior) we wanted in the trim level and package configuration we wanted by chance.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-07-2021 at 1:34 PM.
    --

I'm sorry, but I'm an old guy who grew up with cars with chrome and white lettered tires.

This is my 2002 bought new, never garaged, rarely washed, never waxed F-250 pickup, pic taken a couple of months ago:
    mytruck.jpg
    -I LIKE it

This is somebody's 2017 Charger-
    ick.jpg
    -don't like it. It just plain looks dead.
    IMO it looks like an overprepped car headed for the demolition derby.

I seriously can NOT get into all-black wheels.

And while this Heidelberg
    hberg.jpg
    would look pretty spiffy with a fresh coat of that shiny dead gray,
    it just doesn't go with that Charger.

Too old for new school I guess
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev, that Charger is in the StingGray I mentioned earlier..."battleship grey" to many in vernacular.
    --

Blog Entries
    Apparently the new thing in home decor is gray. I saw one picture of a home interior that literally looked like a black and white photo except for a color painting on the wall. One thing I loathe is the fake wood tiles in weathered gray. I don’t want my floors to look like weathered wood. This trend will eventually go the way of shag carpet and wood paneling.

I remember the sixties when the interior matched the exterior. Our Malibu wagon had a red interior. I have seen lots of red, green,blue, white, tan , brown and black.
    Bill D.

How about this for black and white exterior. It has more then double the green of when I first saw it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-08-2021 at 6:06 PM.

When I bought my grey truck I asked the salesman about every new car dealer having at least one bright yellow vehicle on the lot. (Take a look next time you drive by.) He said they always sell, not a lot, but they sell so they always have them. I bought a nice vise for my son at a garage sale. He cleaned it up and found out it was a Navy vise from WWII, battleship grey. He picked it up in his grey truck.

Jim

I knew a navy vet who had served in the pacific during ww2, on a cruiser i think, saw kamikazes and their carnage .. he really did not like the grey color of navy ships

I personally like the "flat" colors. When my wife was shopping for her Mini Cooper back in 2014, a grey color like that was her #1 choice but it was, unfortunately, discontinued the year prior.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Not everything is black, white, or gray. THANK GOODNESS!!!! Some cares are meant to standout.

I was surprised to find that delta gray is about 30% blue added to Ford tractor gray.
    Bil lD

It's time to bring back colors. Two black SUVs in front of a beige house with white gutters just says boring to me.

The auto industry theoretically has the ability to "embrace the rainbow" when it comes to colors with the automated paint systems they now use, but AFAIK, to-date, none have really taken advantage of that. They theoretically "could" offer customers a lot more choices without materially raising manufacturing cost. One barrier is the long-time sales method of having vehicles on dealer lots where limiting choices to what is perceived or proven to be the "most popular" colors is a stronger business case. If the industry can pivot a little to where it becomes "more normal" for buyers to order their next ride and specify what they want, or to at least offer more color options that way, that computerized gear that does the paint work in the factory could be leveraged more fully. I only factory order, so I'd be a good candidate to take advantage of an expanded color pallet and would likely be happy to pay a small fee for the priviledge.
    --