Thread: Skill 2.5 hp router

Skill 2.5 hp router

Anyone see the new skill router 2.5 hp at rockier with 2 bases for 130.00 dollars.seems to get great reviews.I am not in the market just seems dollar friendly does anyone own one ?

Lots of nice features, especially for use other than in a router table (e.g. dual bases, variable speed, work light, shaft lock, vacuum port).

The depth can be adjusted from above the router table, but the depth lock would still be below the table.

It comes with a 1/4 inch sleeve adapter that installs in the 1/2 inch collet. A separate 1/4" collet that replaces the 1/2 inch collet would be better.

The router speed preset increment/decrement push buttons and speed display are on the top of the unit, and difficult to use in a router table (where they would be facing down). How good is the display when cold? Does it remember its last speed setting between power cycles? Sometimes a knob with numbers printed on it is just a better solution...

The manual does not appear to specify the motor housing diameter, so it is impossible to know which router lifts are compatible with it.

With the exit of Porter Cable from the router market, there may be room for another competitor, but the remaining competition is well established for good reason.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

There are 3.25 h.p. bare motors available the same size as the P-C 7518 sold for use in lifts. Are they any good? No idea but they're available. I know MLCS sells one and I've seen them other places as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    There are 3.25 h.p. bare motors available the same size as the P-C 7518 sold for use in lifts. Are they any good? No idea but they're available. I know MLCS sells one and I've seen them other places as well.
    Bora just came out with one for $299 or something like that recently. Not surprisingly, it's orange. I'd consider it if my 7518 motor kicked the bucket.

The Milwaukee is a very popular choice and some CNC manufacturers who used to bundle the PC for customers who wanted a router motor instead of the more expensive spindle have switched to the red machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...