Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta model 50-179 dust collector motor

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pratt View Post
    LOL - I think I know what shaft size and length mean, but pecker head, and bolt circle are new terms to this old man!
    As a previous owner of a 50-179 that I had to replace the motor on, I'm 100% comfortable saying that the link i posted earlier is the correct motor. A 56c frame 3600 rpm (synchronous speed, will be labeled +/- 3450) motor that is either reversible or the correct rotation will have the correct shaft and mounting flange.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 01-06-2021 at 7:49 PM.

John,
    My apologies, I didn't see your post.
    There you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Coryell View Post
    John,
    My apologies, I didn't see your post.
    There you have it.
    No harm no foul Stan. I was at work yesterday when I posted, I didn't have time to add much detail to my post.

Well, I got it torn apart - almost. I thought I could post a picture since I donated yesterday, but I can't figure out how to. Anyway - I can't remove the impeller from the shaft as the key seems to be wedged in tightly. Do I just need to go rent a gear puller to get it pulled off? I tried wedging the impeller and did get it moved down 1/2" but it's stuck now.

Someone will explain picture posting, or do a search on it. I'm terrible at it.

The impeller is probably stuck where the set screws were tightened. The metal gets deformed where the screw digs in.

A gear puller may distort the back of the impeller since it is only picking three small points.
    I would spray it with PB Baster or similar, WD40 is worthless. Then tap the impeller back to where it was. If any shaft is exposed clean it with emory cloth. Since the shaft is trash, running a drill bit in the set screw holes to sort of "countersink" the upset may help. Then cut some decent wedges of appropriate width and beat them in, putting even pressure on the impeller as close to the hub as possible. If it moves, great. When it doesn't, take a brass pin (a 3/8 extension for a ratchet can be substituted) slightly smaller than the shaft and whack the shaft. Sharp, with a 24oz hammer. Beat the wedges in more and whack the shaft again. The idea is to load the impeller with tension and use the shock to brake it. Like driving a nail, you can't just push it into the wood. It's important that the motor is solid so your whack counts. It is hard to drive a nail if the board is floating in the river. The whack will just splash suff in your eyes....

Be patient.

Thanks for your advice! After I posted that I talked with a retired CAT engineer neighbor who had given me practically the VERY SAME advice as you did. I soaked it well overnight with penetrating oil and this morning I was able to drive that shaft out with 7 or 8 hammer blows using a punch. No damage to that precious aluminum impeller! So It's free and I'll be ordering a new motor today!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    As a previous owner of a 50-179 that I had to replace the motor on, I'm 100% comfortable saying that the link i posted earlier is the correct motor. A 56c frame 3600 rpm (synchronous speed, will be labeled +/- 3450) motor that is either reversible or the correct rotation will have the correct shaft and mounting flange.
    Thanks, John, I took your advice and ordered that very motor that you suggested! I can't wait to start counting on my dust collector to start working again!