Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta model 50-179 dust collector motor

Delta model 50-179 dust collector motor

Years ago I built a dust collector network which tied my 10 stationary tools together using the old style drum and bag model Delta 50-179. It has served my purposes for years, but now the motor caught on fire and is a goner. I checked into a replacement and Delta wants nearly $900 JUST for that motor alone! I don't think I paid $400 for the whole unit! Revamping my network would take some extensive remodeling so I'd like to salvage the old 50-179. I believe I can buy a comparable motor for like $200 which I'm willing to do, but now I wonder if that would be throwing good money away. Has anybody made the same replacement? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post

His motor is a NEMA 56-C motor. The motor you referenced is a 56-B. The face (mounting area) is slightly different. NEMA 56-C motors are fairly common. Jet pumps, and pool pumps use them. The shaft end would be threaded, and no key way for the impellor. Be sure to make sure that the rotation is correct, as generally they aren't reversible.

If it's just a 56c motor it shouldn't be a problem. Some details would be helpful. Delta used some odd/ specific motors. We'll need the name plate, shaft size, bolt circle.

If it's odd you could try these guys. I don't think they have a web site.

Universal Motor Distributors
    32nd and Springarden St.
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pratt View Post
    Years ago I built a dust collector network which tied my 10 stationary tools together using the old style drum and bag model Delta 50-179. It has served my purposes for years, but now the motor caught on fire and is a goner. I checked into a replacement and Delta wants nearly $900 JUST for that motor alone! I don't think I paid $400 for the whole unit! Revamping my network would take some extensive remodeling so I'd like to salvage the old 50-179. I believe I can buy a comparable motor for like $200 which I'm willing to do, but now I wonder if that would be throwing good money away. Has anybody made the same replacement? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks for the replies! Boy, am I glad I found this forum! I was really afraid it couldn't be done.

As for the existing burnt up motor it was a MARATHON brand, model DVK 56C 34012A. 3/4HP, 3450 PRM, 14 AMP, 115V, "Code L Type SCS" whatever that means. The other encouraging thing after the model number seeming to confirm the 56C was "FR 56C" which I guess might be short for Frame 56C.

For the last couple years I had trouble with that motor tripping a 20 amp dedicated circuit, which now makes me wonder it the motor had been going bad for sometime and that's why it had caught on fire (SCARED the crap out of me!)

Now just to tear it down and get ordering!

Oh - Bruce, you mentioned checking the rotation - how will I do that or was that somewhere in those specs I just listed?

Ron
    Dunlap, IL

Are sure the actual motor caught fire, or did the start capacitor burn up? Take the end bell off and look at the windings. If they look good, then get a new start capacitor. Grainger, McMaster Carr, and local HVAC supply house stock them, plus there is always Ebay. Could also be a faulty start switch. Welcome to SMC. Pay the six bucks and become a contributor. This way you will be able to see the pictures and participate in certain forums. You could also post pictures so we could see what's happened.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-06-2021 at 3:22 PM.

Is PayPal the only way to pay? What about VENMO?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pratt View Post
    Is PayPal the only way to pay? What about VENMO?

If you are talking about SMC, I used my VISA card to pay. Don't have a PayPal account

For some reason the bell end doesn't seem to want to pull off like I thought it should, but I checked the outward appearance of the capacitor and it is not burnt, nor does it even smell. The rotor turns quite freely, but when I try to start the motor it just hums loudly. The fire itself had been on the opposite end and here 2 weeks later it still really stinks like an electrical fire and not a fire of say trapped sawdust for instance.

Just paid. Now I guess I have to read up on how I link my iPhone pictures, huh? LOL

I'd say the motor is smoked.

Before ordering a replacement motor, pull the old one, and carefully check dimensions. Shaft size and length, pecker head, and bolt circle. Delta had a habit of using odd motors.

If you contact a good motor shop they should be able to decode/ cross reference your Marathon number.

BTW, I don't have any experience with your collector. Just motors and controls.

3/4 HP is pretty small for a dust collector, before you spend any money on it, consider upgrading to a larger unit.

Thank you - but as I said in my initial post "revamping my network would take some extensive remodeling" and at age 76 I'm not sure I want to start all over again, when good enough was "good enough".

LOL - I think I know what shaft size and length mean, but pecker head, and bolt circle are new terms to this old man!

Haha!

Peckerhead= junction box on the motor

Bolt Circle (B.C.)= when holes are in a circular pattern, they are expressed: 3/8 diameter, 4 typical on 10" BC. (Four 3/8 holes, evenly spaced on a 10" diameter)

I'd give Universal Motors a call and give them that Marathon model number. If anyone can cross reference it, they can.