Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dust Extractors - Festool competitors

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Doug , you talked yourself into that vac or didn’t do the math correctly because festool ups the price on bags and capacity and vacs in a linear fashion. You are paying roughly the same per metric whether you get the small capacity vac or the super sized one.
    That wasn’t always the case, maybe it is now, dunno. Anyway, I really LOVE this vac, it is my faithful companion, and it has never let me down. :^)

Blog Entries
    Mirka, whenever I replace my festool (still going strong) i plan to try out mirka.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

That being said, I am now playing with third party hoses (powertec or some such) that I've wrapped in the same fabric material as the FT hoses and achieved nearly the same performance. Next step is integrating the power cord.
    Be sure to post once you get that fabric wrap rigged up.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-06-2021 at 9:42 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I have two Fein vacs in the shop, a midsized older model dedicated to the miter saw, And the small (newer model) one with a small dust deputy mounted on top with a 3 gal bucket. I have never replaced the bag in that unit because the DD gets it all. Empty the bucket when full and good to go. It is very quiet and with the tool switch it meets all my sanding and general cleanup needs. Buy a $15 remote switch that you strap to the hose. Save a lot of money and spend it on your significant other and tell her where you got the money. That way your future purchases might only get minimal scrutiny.
    And Jim is correct the bigger models often have the same suction as the small ones.

I do find it interesting that Nilfisk rarely makes it into the conversation. I have an Aero that I bought for general use. It does everything from concrete to wood dust as well as a fairly easy conversion to wet vac.

I had the Aero and a CT 26 on a construction project last year. The two vacuums were on different floors and the small tools were moved between them. A couple of things I’ve noticed.

For most tasks there is no noticeable difference in performance. For sanding with smaller pads (hence less dust collection area) the lack of variable speed on the Aero can be a problem. The Aero uses a vent on the hose to dial down suction, which does not have the same effect. Sanding dust collection is better on the CT 26; meaning less dust left on the surface and no issues with the sander getting sucked down. Both Bosch and Festool sanders were used.

That said, with the Aero, I was able to grind a concrete floor in a finished room without a trace of concrete dust. Of course the surfacer had a dust shroud.

It’s great that so many more options are available compared to 10 or 15 years ago. When I began looking for something better than the Shop Vac design, there was Fein Turbo, Nilfisk Attix and Festool CT, all similarly priced. Now if everyone else, not Festool, could just figure out that systems do matter; or at least tools that are designed for optimal dust collection without having to purchase five additional accessories or cobble together some solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schmid View Post
    I do find it interesting that Nilfisk rarely makes it into the conversation.
    I have the Nilfisk Attix and use it for my sanders, track saw and other handheld dust makers. It sits on a shop made cart with a small dust deputy up top that nearly eliminates the need to replace bags. It’s quiet and moves more than enough air for my purposes.

Still have my trusty orange screamer in the corner with a 15 ft hose for shop cleanup.

Not sure about other owners but I rarely mention my “Nilfisk Attix” because I can hardly remember the name without walking out to the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Not trying to derail this thread... But what features do you guys with Festool vacs appreciate the most ? I want the automatic on when I trigger my power tool switch. What about variable suction ? What about shaker or other self cleaning HEPA filter ?
    Happy New Year Mike, I like the auto start, variable suction, low noise and the ergonomics of hose/tool storage. I have a CT26 and a Midi, I like the Midi much more as it's lighter.

The Festool vacs pack their dust bags so densely that it's like lifting a bag of concrete mix out of the vacuum. That weight is no fun to lug up stairs, so unless you really need the chip capacity stick with the smaller units..............Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schmid View Post
    I do find it interesting that Nilfisk rarely makes it into the conversation. I have an Aero that I bought for general use. It does everything from concrete to wood dust as well as a fairly easy conversion to wet vac.
    I actually wanted to mention that brand...but couldn't remember the name. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Didn't see this mentioned, I use Powertec bags for my CT-26, pack of 5 ($17).

https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-7503...61&s=hi&sr=1-1

Have you taken a look at the Festool CT 15? When it first came out it was only $350 and had pretty much all the same features as the CT 26 which was double the price besides bluetooth and a few extra things but overall it is an amazing value. Festool did recently up the price to $400 even at that price it's a great value but I wish they would of left it at $350 since it was and is designed to be an entry level vac which would get customers into Festool brand at a great price.

This little unit is inexpensive, quiet, (2 stage motor) and has been my light duty CNC vac for several years now, after my Fein didn't really live up to my longevity expectations.
    https://vacmaster.com/5-gallon-5-pea...et-dry-vacuum/

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Didn't see this mentioned, I use Powertec bags for my CT-26, pack of 5 ($17).
    I buy the PowerTec bags, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Festool CT22E, which has been excellent. Thanks for the PoweTec bag suggestion as i am in need of new bags. My Fein quit a few years ago and I picked up a Ridgid, which was simply to large and cumbersome. My mistake on that buy. Upon suggestion from our friend from Germany, whose name escapes me, I picked up a Karcher WX5. It has been very good and reasonable priced with the auto on, hepa and variable speed. The hose is short however and I need to pick up the adapter set for the terminations as it doesn’t fit up to the track saw or sander. It hasn’t been a problem as I do have the 22. Next time I go to town I’ll take the hose with me to Rockler to see if the fit-up is right with their adapter set.

I am happy with my Rigids. My main vac has a big motor (I think it's 13A) but a small dust capacity because it sucks through a dust deputy. I put a quasi Hepa filter (HEPA rated fabric) on it and I have an aftermarket auto on switch. One advantage of the after market switches is greater current capacity than some shop vac's built in switch. I often use it with my DeWalt track saw which pulls as much as 13A. I also use this vac on my domino XL and sanders. I have to clean the filter occasionally but it works fine on these smaller tools. I wear hearing protection for the tool already so the fact that the shop vac is noisy doesn't really matter. I use a Bosch 5 meter hose with it most of the time. I also have a smaller motor but bigger dust capacity Rigid I use when I am not in the shop.

I have a Starmix wet/dry vacuum. better than Festool vacuum I think. cheaper too.