Thread: Craftsman shop vac hose - need an extension

Craftsman shop vac hose - need an extension

Hello Woodowrkers! I’m hoping for some input on a Craftsman Shop Vac dilemma. I have attempted to solve this by looking online for hours and realize that the inconsistencies in dust collection, generally speaking, are just part of the norm and that help is elusive to say the least.
    MY ISSUE – I have a very old Craftsman Wet/Dry vac that I believe is a 16 gallon model number 113.178081 and it is in very good working condition. The hose size is 2-1/2” and I’d like to add a hose or simply buy a longer hose to fit this one. The hose cuffs are both very close to 2-1/4” (2.24 by caliper) outside diameter (o.d.) and the two cuffs are designed to friction fit inside the vac opening as well as the straight pipes and tools that measure 2.28 to 2.30 inside diameter. Therefore, the hose inserts INTO both the vac and the tools or straight pipes that came with the vac. One of the hose ends fixed to the hose swivels to prevent the hose from twisting and the other end is simply fixed and is part of the hose and both measure 2.24” o.d.
    Sears website and other aftermarket parts show this particular hose as obsolete and having no replacement. I also have a Ridgid shop vac and have dedicated that to use with a Dust Topper on a DeWalt radial arm saw. I mention this because the Ridgid vac has a hose that has the locking mechanism (posi-lock) at the vacuum end and the other end was compatible with the Craftsman hose. Before dedicating the Ridgid vac to the RAS, I could use the two hoses together for good reach (12-14 ft) with decent suction.
    There are many “kits” available for Craftsman vacs and they all seem to include one or more Posi-lock hose ends which does nothing for my situation which requires friction fit ends. I have not yet found anyone actually stating the i.d. and or o.d. of any of the fittings and do not want to start ordering things that need to be returned. Going out into retail with vac tools to search for the proper fit is not an option. I feel someone out there has already worked through this, and I’ve come across several people writing online about their 35 year old Craftsman vacs, just not regarding adding another hose. I have a 2-1/2” hose coupler by Wood River which fits only slightly loose on the current hose, something one wrap of tape would quickly remedy when the longer hose is used.
    Any help from someone who has already accomplished this is greatly appreciated.

I did something a little unconventional for a shop vac hose extension that has worked out very well. Most 2 1/2" shop vac hoses are pretty stiff which can make them pretty awkward to use. I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/CLEAR-COLLECT...sr=1-3-catcorr

It shows up as unavailable. Maybe Peachtree has it. The tapered ends screw into each end of the hose:

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-Vacu...03&s=hi&sr=1-7

I haven't used hose clamps with them yet but will if necessary. The trick I found is to strip the plastic right down to the wire on each end of the hose. I found it hard to get the threaded portion started otherwise. The nice part about this is that it's very flexible unlike common 'shop vac' hose yet it doesn't collapse. If I turn the vac on and hold my hand over the end the 10' hose will suck together til it's maybe 2' but the inside diameter remains at 2 1/2". Pretty nice stuff.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-06-2021 at 8:49 AM.

Lowes item 71994, plus coupler.