Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop PCS Dust Collection Advice

Sawstop PCS Dust Collection Advice

Hey everyone so I'm going to be order a Sawstop PCS soon and I'm finding really conflicting answers regarding dust collection. Some people saying the overarm sucks and others love it.

Anyone have any advice regarding the best dust collection options for the SawStop?

I'll be using a 5hp ClearVue Cyclone Dust Collector and running 6" ducts as close as I can to the machine, then splitting them off to 4" at the bottom and whatever you guys can help me come up with for the overarm solution.

I've read some good things about the Shark Guard, but not sure exactly how it compares to SawStop's options.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I advise ditching the splitter SawStop uses to feed the suction to the overarm and replacing it with a 4"x2.5" actual wye. That increased the performance of my setup noticeably. Other than that, Ive never complained about the PCS with the overarm. Connected to my V-3000 its been awesome!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    I have a PCS with the Floating Overarm Dust Collection system. I really like it. A lot. There are some situations on cuts where the cutoff is so narrow that the hood lets some dust escape, but just yesterday, I looked at it and thought, "that thing is a game changer". As an added plus, the hood serves as a "no fingers allowed here" reminder.

I also have the SawStop floating overarm guard - the big one - mounted on my 36" PCS with industrial mobile base. The "smaller" one is the non-floating overarm guard. I also have the same dust collector the OP has (5HP clearvue cyclone with upgraded 16" impeller). I have one 4" hose attached to the back of the cabinet and one to the floating arm. Works great, and you can use it for both through cuts and non-through cuts. I did try the Shark Guard and did not like not being able to use it for rabbets and dados, the 4" hose coming off the top always got in the way, and the guard itself never seemed very stable on the riving knife mount and constant adjustment was needed.

SB

I also have the large floating overarm guard. Mine is hooked up to a 4" hose attached to my 5HP Oneida. I do have it wyed from a 6" drop from my DC sharing it with the Sawstop which is a mistake. Dust collection could be better. If I make a separate run sometime (not a cheap endeavor considering the floor layout and Nordfab ducting), I imagine dust collection would get better.

I did built a dust shoe for the overarm guard, which does improve dust collection dramatically. Someone should really produce one for this, or better yet Sawstop should include it or make it an option. I haven't found a good way to secure it yet, but it is a huge help.

I had the smaller overam guard DC setup on my Sawstop contractors saw, and wasn't impressed with its dust collection.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 01-05-2021 at 9:32 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Floating overarm guard/collection can be a great thing because it doesn't get in the way most of the time including for non-through cuts. I agree with the advise to hook up the guard independently from the saw port for the under-blade shroud so you have more control and provide more air flow. Dust collection isn't about "suction"...it's about air flow. The more you have, the better the collection.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use the standard non- floating DC arm on my SawStop ICS. I found I was able to improve it by changing out the T fitting where it connects to the 4” hose to a Y fitting. It’s a tip I read here that improves the airflow. I’m connected to a 2 hp short cyclone DC and find the performance meets my needs. I do have a small shop and short runs to my tools which may help.

C43920B7-D893-43AB-8690-6B7BA530EEE8.jpeg
    Hi Josh,

I also have the ClearVue cyclone and find that the SawStop guard is quite good as long as the blade has wood on both sides of it. Trimming wood with the side of the blade exposed tends to spray dust out the side of the guard. I have a 4” hose dropped to the guard from above and a 6” hose to the base below.

Tom

P.S. Sorry for the sideways photo.

I've tried both a floating over arm of my own design, and also the build in small port on the guard.

My testing has shown the guard has a minor advantage over the floating over arm, but requires a shop vac. Before I used a shop vac I also tested it with a 4" hose run from the split on my 6" main line, and then run through some converters. The reason is that the port on the guard is too small to work effectively with a normal dust collector.

I also agree with the people saying that the splitter sold with the saw is a very poor design. It appears to be designed almost solely to minimize the space taken up behind the saw, with dust collection efficiency a far second.

So what I've done is to buy a dedicated shopvac, and put it into the rafters of the shop. This also avoids the need for the special kit they sell to attach the guard to an under table. I can also use the shop vac to clean the saw, or the outfeed/assembly table behind it.

PXL_20201213_211428017.jpgPXL_20201213_211431879.jpg

I have my PCS hooked to a 2hp HF DC which I think it adequate. The saw port is only 4 inch and hooks by flex hose to a shute around the blade. The chute directs nearly all the dust that comes towards the under the blade cabinet to the chute. Mine has only had to be vacuumed out once when the hose from the chute to the port disconnected because I did not adequately tighten the clamp.

I run a 5 inch snap lock pipe to the saw and have a 5-3 wye for my home made overarm collector. I do not use it a lot, however. It doesn't do much if the blade is not buried in the work. I'm thinking of modifying it to add a drop down piece of plexi to deal with this. The other issue is narrow pieces. If you want to make a narrow rip I pretty much have to get my overarm out of the way. I cannot see and I cannot control the workpiece.

Does anybody's overarm get a lot of the dust when the left side of the blade is "open", not buried in the wood? I seem to make a lot of cuts that way and see little benefit of my overarm when making those cuts.

Because the 5 inch has to go to 4 inch to hook up to the saw, I don't think wye'ing off a 3 inch flex line hurts the extraction from the cabinet.

Ive been meaning to upgrade to the floating. I rarely had the guard on the saw so it didnt work that well. I put it on for large plywood sessions. and it works well

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Does anybody's overarm get a lot of the dust when the left side of the blade is "open", not buried in the wood? I seem to make a lot of cuts that way and see little benefit of my overarm when making those cuts.
    Yes, at that point the saw blade is throwing some of the dust at 100 MPH to the side. Typical DC is moving air at a max of 40 MPH, so the DC loses. You need to have some sort of physical obstruction, which is why the guard based DC is better. You could also solve the issue with a "sawstache" or anything else that physically prevents the dust from being ejected.

I started with the smaller overarm but it was pretty useless. The larger overarm has been better. The real game changer was getting a better dust collecting machine.

Well ok that's a lot of responses. Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. I'm going to read through all of this and see what I can come up with.

I had the original dust pickup/splitter combination on my ICS and it worked quite well for dust collection. However I was constantly removing it for rabbets and dados. I switched to the large floating arm which is much more convenient, but as originally installed as per Sawstop's instruction, it was less effective for dust pick up. I am using a Murphy Rogers dust collector with a six inch duct splitting into a 4 inch y going into the saw and into the overarm collector. I used as much rigid duct possible to improv flow. It was only after I repositioned the overarm unit so that the 4 inch collector was directly over the blade and blocked off the front of the plastic guard with a brush that I was able to improve the pick up. I called Sawstop and told them what I had done and I got the impression they were not interested.