Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lignum Vitae as Plane Soles

Lignum Vitae as Plane Soles

Hi all,
    Has anyone had any experience or have any knowlage of the history of Lignum Vitae used as plane soles? I have recently purchased a couple made from what appears to be such and was intrigued because it is such a niche and expensive wood and just because I had never seen any using it before.
    Thanks!
    Aiden
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"

I think it was first used by Shipwrights, salvaged from decommissioned bearings. The stuff seems to be self lubricating and amazingly hard wearing.

I dislike my only plane with a LV sole, it's heavy.

From what I've read, lignum vitae is a remarkable wood. Unfortunately it has been harvested almost to extinction, as has cuban and Honduran mahogany, long leaf pine and many others. It is in the CITES list.

Interesting. I really like these planes because I find they are smoother (maybe its in my head! ) to work with. They are heavy though! They caught my attention when I bought them because the beautiful polished wood stood out in the dinge of the New England antique (/ junk) mall.

I resoled 2 heavily worn beech rabbet planes a few years back with some Lignum Vitae cutoffs I had lying around. I used a .25" thickness and epoxied the pieces in place after a quick wipe of the LV with acetone to degrease. The planes slide quite nicely and wear very well with their new soles.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Good to know Dave! I may try this if I happen to get one with a worn sole.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I resoled 2 heavily worn beech rabbet planes a few years back with some Lignum Vitae cutoffs I had lying around. I used a .25" thickness and epoxied the pieces in place after a quick wipe of the LV with acetone to degrease. The planes slide quite nicely and wear very well with their new soles.
    I've done the same thing. I found some Lignum Vitae at Woodcraft - it was a short block intended for turners. Don't remember what I paid for it but I used some of it to re-sole a couple of old wooden planes. I don't use them a whole lot but when I do use them they seem to slide easily. I think I still have some left.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I think it was first used by Shipwrights, salvaged from decommissioned bearings. The stuff seems to be self lubricating and amazingly hard wearing.

I dislike my only plane with a LV sole, it's heavy.
    I've read that Lignum Vitae was used as shaft bearings on nuclear submarines. Quiet because of no moving parts, there was no better modern equivalent. I don't know if that is still true or not.

Years ago I knew a carpenter who had been a sea bee in WW2, and worked on rebuilding ships that were damaged in battle, the idea was to get them back into combat shape as quickly as possible.

He said that the drive shafts were lignum vitae. Good stuff, but you had to use extremely sharp tools when they were turning the shafts. He was there and had direct knowledge, so I have no doubt about the use of the LV for the shafts.

Stew

Lignum Vitae was also used to make bowling balls, so keep your eyes pealed, like me, for them.

Interesting. But are they really big enough to do anything with? Wouldn't the holes make the amount of usable wood very small?

I've bought both True and Argentine Lignum Vitae at a local (to me) wood dealer, Jeffries Woodworks south of Knoxville TN. https://www.jeffrieswoodworks.com/ The prices were actually quite reasonable, especially compared to some of their prices!

A wood dealer friend Pete near Cincinatti sometimes has LV: Big Monk Lumber For example, this 8x8x3" block of Argentine was only about $30 a few years ago. If looking for some might call and see if he has any.

lignum-vitae-block.jpg

I know nothing about the use of either species in planes but I've used it a lot for woodturning, bearings, hand-spinning supports, and to machine a few things I might otherwise make from aluminum. I like the color on the Argentine, both are heavy, hard, and waxy.

JKJ

Thats a beautiful hunk of wood you've got there John!

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden Pettengill View Post
    Interesting. But are they really big enough to do anything with? Wouldn't the holes make the amount of usable wood very small?
    Enough for small infills, little block planes, boxing? one could patch together a bunch of little pieces for small parts.

I was able to get some at the shipyard in St Johns Newfoundland about 40 years ago. They had large blocks 3or 4" thick and 8-10" wide and up to 2 or three foot long. I was told it was used for bearing blocks on shafts. Fascinating wood.