Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipwrights Plane ID?

Shipwrights Plane ID?

Hi all, I recently picked this plane after spotting it in one of New Englands many antique (mostly junk) stores. It is made what I think is Lignum Vitae as it is heavy and is most certainly not a native wood. It was sold to me as a shipwrights plane as were a some others that I bought and were there. They were all in one booth that doesn't usually sell tools and were in good condition leading me to believe that they were well cared for. I also know that Lignum Vitae was a commonly used wood on ships so I would make sense that this could have belonged to a shipwright. The readable portion of the punched makers mark on the plane (also the only mark on the plane) reads as "...........K Tool Co. Warranted Cast Steel" I have attached some pictures below. All thoughts wanted!
    Thanks!
    Aiden
    Attachment 448712Attachment 448714Attachment 448715Attachment 448713Attachment 448711Attachment 448716Attachment 448717Attachment 448718
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"

Here are some more pictures.
    Thanks again!
    Aiden

As a boatbuilder I can say there is nothing special about them that makes them particular to shipbuilding.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Hmmm.... Good to know! I only was swayed to this because this is from around coastal Maine and is made of what appears to be Lignum Vitae. I believe this was a common wood for ballasts once upon a time? There are actually quite a few boatbuilders in Maine still (wooden not Bath Iron Works) and because this was part of a collection and labeled as a shipwrights I wondered if it may have belonged to one of them?
    Thanks for the input!
    Aiden

I’m not saying it wasn’t useful or owned by a boatbuilder it just isn’t specialized.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Gotcha! I didn't even realize you were from Maine too! It came from Elmers Antique Barn by Whitefield. What is the reason Lignum Vitae was used as ballasts? Was it a commonly available wood once upon a time? I know its a pretty expensive wood currently.

I never heard of it used as ballast except maybe if the ship was coming from a tropical area and then ditched it for the real cargo. It is mostly used in high wear areas. Shaft bearings, dead eyes, cleats, etc. still used as shaft bearings in some cases.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Interesting. I had read that in my research into Lignum Vitae but I know next to nothing about boat building so I'm glad you commented. My knowledge is limited to using sailboats (small ones). One of the things I had read said that because Lignum Vitae was used in the boats that the waste was cheap and therefor was a popular option for plane soles because of the smooth lubricating effect it has.

In the days of sail LV was used in almost all pulley and block and tackle sheaves because of its lubricity and its wear characteristics. It was because of its uses a common wood in most shipyards. Later it was used in shaft bearings when steam and other modern forms of power became common. It is still used in the Navy's subs because it is quiet and avoids metal to metal contact and noise.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

It looks to me that it was a well used plane. Plenty of adjustment signs on the iron and wedge. The tote design obviously made it necessary to strike the iron on the left and right sides...and a lot of striking it appears to have had. Not sure if you’re looking to put it to work, but the irons may be tough to restore...a lot of pitting. Cool plane...share the restoration if you choose to do it.

Surprisingly the edge of the iron is very flat and the majority of what looks like pitting is a weird shiny blackish paint thing. I think it might be a bad enamel paint job that's been worn? The top of the iron seems to be much sharper than the edge and there is a line that looks like a weld line on the iron as well. I think this might be why the top looks so much worse than the bottom. What would you do if you were to restore it? I usually just clean them up and don't realy do much grinding, sanding, or polishing.

Good news that’s it’s not all pitting. I’d first try to get it into working condition. Sharpen the iron, and work the chip breaker to a tight fit. Then see if it planes wood. Check the tote for any wiggle...fix that, if needed. I didn’t notice the mouth of the plane...if that’s a bit raggedy, I’d file it smooth. Then give it a good cleaning with mild detergent.

It also appears to have a crack or two. See if it “opens up” by pulling it apart. If so, try to get a little glue in it and stabilize that. Then I’d treat it to a bit of boiled linseed oil or something like Howards Feed and Wax. That’s about it. Then enjoy using it.

The iron was sharp when I bought it and now is razor sharp and the shipbreaker already had a perfect fit when I bought it. Someone had been using it recently because the edge on the iron was pretty freshly sharpened. The cracks aren't that bad and the big one I think you might be talking about is very solid with no movement whatsoever. The mouth doesn't look too bad and the tote is very tight. Oddly it seems that a piece of thin leather was placed to one side of the tote where it is sunk into the sole then cut flush. Has anyone else ever seen this before?
    Attachment 448759Attachment 448760IMG_2296.jpgIMG_2299.jpg

Nice looking plane and it sounds like a good user. I suspect the tote is a replacement, as it doesn't look to have the same degree of craftsmanship as the rest of the plane. The leather filler may be to give a tight fit to the replacement tote.

Just my off hand, non-expert opinion. Worth all of what you've paid for it.

For only $15 its an amazing user! I was thinking the same in regards to the tote: it's good to know some else is of the same opinion.