Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shed Exterior Door

Jack - VG Doug Fir would be a good wood for exterior use. And much lighter than W Oak.

I mentioned W Oak since it is local (?), excellent in exposure, and not too terribly expensive. But the threat of fire. I guess you can see what makes it and what doesn't from the extensive fires. Seems like overhangs are the worst contributors to a building's consumption.

I did not advocate a pretty or fancy door (both relative terms...), but simple frame and panel since that is the backbone of so much woodwork. The frame is there to establish the size, panels are there to fill in the openings and keep the critters out. Torsion box is more complex and will tend to bow during damp weather. It is higher 'tech' than frame & panel being of the late 19th C, while frame and panel dates back to about 1600.

Adding lumber to one side of an existing door for decorative purpose will work, but does little to celebrate one's involvement with the craft. Same with foam and plywood. It just does not speak well of a person's involvement with this marvelous material.
    I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

It deepens on what you want it to look like. My shed door is falling apart (partly due to my neglect) so I face this same decision before too long. It is painted wood and gets splashed by water coming off the hip roof. I am pretty sure I will make the replacement. If I could get dry PT wood I would probably use that for the frame. But I have no ready source of that so I will probably buy a southern pine 2x12 and cut the frame stock out of that. Domino tenons - probably wide custom size - for the joints. It will have to be painted due to the roof so no need for hardwood. SYP is more weather resistant than other softwood. It needs a stain blocking primer but paints fine with one. Not sure the style yet. I made an interior door for my previous shop where I just had a perimeter frame with a panel in the middle and molding around the panel. Top and sides were about 5.5 inches wide and the bottom about twice that. Panel could be 1/2 or 3/4 exterior plywood. Or it could be a raised panel door. Existing door has a window. I might try and recycle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    If I could get dry PT wood I would probably use that for the frame. But I have no ready source of that
    I order KDAT PT lumber from both HD and Lowes with no problems here in the Tampa Bay area.

For sheds, outbuildings and the such a simple frame with cladding one side is easy to make and will hold up better than a panel door to the weather.
    This is a outhouse door I made recently out of VG fir. Simple tenoned frame (Could be doweled, Dominoed or other loose tenon)
    T&G applied horizontally is glued and nailed to the frame, tongues up and planks not glued together to allow for movement. Vertical planking probably a better construction and planks fastened from the inside with screws would have been more crafty. Quick to build for a outhouse!
    CEE2E30A-B93A-4126-BB52-CD83F107473A.jpg
    69F7F704-FD34-4CD7-8374-A566D1908929.jpg
    32704E07-102B-457C-B7CF-9957FEA9446D.jpg

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    That's a pretty classy door for an outhouse! I like it. A far sight nicer than I've seen on many a privy. Always nice to have a window - depending on where that outhouse is, it can be a really nice thing to look outside before stepping out.

6. David,
    Thank you so much for your post talking about being surrounded by your work. I'm not an old timer like you, I've only got about 41 years making a living at this, but I already get the same sense of "being surrounded" that you describe. I can only hope I am as spry as you when I achieve you ripe old age. I really appreciated the observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seng View Post
    That's a pretty classy door for an outhouse! I like it. A far sight nicer than I've seen on many a privy. Always nice to have a window - depending on where that outhouse is, it can be a really nice thing to look outside before stepping out.
    its really nice looking out of this one Dave!
    08C44263-3EFD-44F2-9141-3BFFEAA47EC3.jpg