Thread: Jet JML-1014 Lathe reverses direction every time I turn it on

Jet JML-1014 Lathe reverses direction every time I turn it on

I think I've done my due diligence on searching before I ask...but I've got a good one for you.

I bought a used Jet JML-1014 lathe a few months ago and, being that I knew nothing about using one, I just verified that it worked and paid the guy. Today I decided to finally try it out and after some fumbling around, realized that the motor reverses direction every time I turn it on. One time, it's running CW...the next, CCW.

Anyone ever seen this? I'm 100% sure there something radically wrong here.

Thanks for any advice.
    60W Chinese Laser that actually works beautifully.
    I know how to fix it if it doesn't.
    Little Bits of Interesting

What box? There's a box?

It’s Monday so you can call Jet Customer Service. They should be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Marti Thew View Post
    I think I've done my due diligence on searching before I ask...but I've got a good one for you.

I bought a used Jet JML-1014 lathe a few months ago and, being that I knew nothing about using one, I just verified that it worked and paid the guy. Today I decided to finally try it out and after some fumbling around, realized that the motor reverses direction every time I turn it on. One time, it's running CW...the next, CCW.

Anyone ever seen this? I'm 100% sure there something radically wrong here.

Thanks for any advice.
    That's a new one to me. Does it consistently switch directions every single time?

Also, does it start cleanly and quickly or is it a little sluggish in getting started> I have a couple of those lathes and my only experience of one running in reverse is when the start capacitor failed. But then, the motor just hummed when the switch was turned on but I could give it a little push by hand and make it run in either direction. If yours is not humming but starting each time, I wonder if the capacitor is about to fail. Note that I have zero knowledge to back up that guess - the two times I've witnessed capacitor failure on motors the failure was sudden and accompanied by a distinctive odor.

JKJ

John is, as usual, on the right track. I had this exact issue with my Jet 1014 a few years ago and it was indeed the start capacitor(the big lump on the outside of the motor). The only place I could find the exact replacement was Jet Parts. It cost about $30 with shipping and all. When you take it apart, which is pretty easy, you can find the cap specs if they are not burned off yet, and try to find an aftermarket capacitor. I'm not an electrician, so I was unsure about using an aftermarket piece. The replacement was a perfect fit and is still running well. Overall not a big problem for a solid little lathe. I've had mine since 1999. If that does not fix your problem then it's beyond me. Good Luck!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    John is, as usual, on the right track. I had this exact issue with my Jet 1014 a few years ago and it was indeed the start capacitor(the big lump on the outside of the motor). The only place I could find the exact replacement was Jet Parts. It cost about $30 with shipping and all. When you take it apart, which is pretty easy, you can find the cap specs if they are not burned off yet, and try to find an aftermarket capacitor. I'm not an electrician, so I was unsure about using an aftermarket piece. The replacement was a perfect fit and is still running well. Overall not a big problem for a solid little lathe. I've had mine since 1999. If that does not fix your problem then it's beyond me. Good Luck!
    Proof of a failing capacitor would be if/when it failed completely! Barring that, a call to Jet support might indeed be helpful. Replacing it just to see could be expensive.

I looked everywhere for a replacement capacitor that would fit in the housing for my Jet mini. I looked everywhere, had to buy one from Jet. As a comparison, Jet charged me nearly $40 while one for my 18" Rikon bandsaw was a fraction of that. Starter capacitors from a motor shop usually cost about $6-$10.

BTW, if you can be happy with a capacitor that doesn't fit into the wart on the side of the motor, perhaps mount in your own box, container, whatever, you can save a lot of money by not buying from Jet. You can use any starter capacitor that meets or exceeds the voltage and capacitance specs. You could get a cheaper one locally and wire it up temporarily and see if that fixes the problem.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Jet charged me nearly $40 while one for my 18" Rikon bandsaw was a fraction of that. Starter capacitors from a motor shop usually cost about $6-$10. JKJ
    I needed to replace the stick on tape measure on the rail of my PM2000 saw. PM wanted I think it was $76.00 for a 32" tape measure!!! I bought a Starrett on Amazon for under $10.00 delivered the next day.

Just another point about capacitors – the start capacitor failed on my Delta La 200 mini lathe. It melted so badly that I couldn't read the specs. I got one from Delta. I was expensive, took forever to get, and didn't fit properly in the housing. But the lathe works,

8. In my former life (electrician for 40+ years) I replaced hundreds of start capacitors. If you can read the rating on the old capacitor replace it with the same or higher voltage/MFD rated capacitor. When I say higher rated use the next closest size. Some OEM capacitors are physically different size to encourage you to spend the extra money on their part, but a $5.00 capacitor will do the same thing as their $40.00 capacitor. Just make sure you get the capacitor covered properly, they can give you a nasty shock.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    That's a new one to me. Does it consistently switch directions every single time?

Also, does it start cleanly and quickly or is it a little sluggish in getting started> I have a couple of those lathes and my only experience of one running in reverse is when the start capacitor failed. But then, the motor just hummed when the switch was turned on but I could give it a little push by hand and make it run in either direction. If yours is not humming but starting each time, I wonder if the capacitor is about to fail. Note that I have zero knowledge to back up that guess - the two times I've witnessed capacitor failure on motors the failure was sudden and accompanied by a distinctive odor.

JKJ
    Depends on if the lathe is variable speed or not. Variable speed version has a DC motor.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 01-21-2021 at 11:06 AM.