Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About to dive in, sub-$700 budget for a table saw, wwyd?

Bill, can I install an aftermarket riving knife in this model? I'd looked around a bit and couldn't tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The blades, the fence, mobile base and the router insert are worth it for that saw. No riving knife. other then that no improvement for a newer model. Many prefer the unifence, which is no longer made, to any other fence.
    Bil lD

Ron, great points! Doesn't help me out but it seems worth taking into account to temper frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Just a comment about Craigs List. I have bought lumber snd used machines and tools along with boats and fishing stuff. Presently, with Covid, I have noticed fishing and woodworking deals to be less frequent and less of a deal. I think it may be that both fishing and woodworking and home renovations are something that has really increased in popularity. People feel safe doing them. It may not be the best time for CL deals right now. My 2 cents.

Thanks Fred!

You hit it on the head - feeling a little dizzy

I'll be sticking around and look forward to learning it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Jim,
    First off, welcome to SMC. We're glad to have you with us! You can learn alot from this crew - I know I sure have!

Listen, don't get tied up in a knot - if you've already been looking around, just buy what you can afford without waiting another year for the perfect deal. If you cant find a good contractor saw (I have an old delta 34-444 with a good fence and love that thing), just go to home depot and buy one of the Ridgid's folks recommended above. Most people who have had a Ridgid saw seem to think well of them. I dont think you can go wrong there and you wont greatly exceed your target price.

Let us know what you decide to buy and what you think of it as a beginner.

Fred

Another option if one is available from the Laguna Outlet is the Laguna Fusion One. My bandsaw came from the outlet and it was a demo on display at a trade show. I don't think it even had a blade installed on it as the tires were new.

https://lagunatools.com/classic/tablesaws/f1/

You can reach out to Morgan at Laguna to see if he has one available and how much it will cost. What you pay in shipping you might save in sales tax. So far I have 3 Laguna machines and I am very happy with every one of them. If the Fusion Three had the saw stop capabilities, it would most likely be my 4th Laguna tool. There used to be an issue, years ago, with Laguna's customer service. This has not been the case as they have been very good at returning my calls/e-mails, usually the same day with any questions I have had. I have not had any equipment issues.

You can contact Morgan via their web site: http://lagunatoolsoutlet.com/ Just an FYI, the equipment posted on the outlet site isn't always what they have ready to go.

I agree that is a good option in the link you supplied. You mentioned space issues. The mobile base allows you to park it in the corner easily when you aren't using/needing it. Don't hesitate or it might be gone. Make sure everything works/runs smoothly. You can get an aftermarket splitter by microjig that isn't as good as a riving knife but it's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lafferty View Post
    Bill, can I install an aftermarket riving knife in this model? I'd looked around a bit and couldn't tell.
    Hi Jim, I’m not sure about a riving knife but you can get a splitter instead. There is an MJ splitter that you can install in a shop made throat plate. You can also get one from the company that makes Shark Guard that should attach below the table to the original guard mount. The latter is what I have on my Grizzly tablesaw.

Bill’s right about the fence and features. That fence style can be very desirable.

That saw will suck for sheet goods, unless you build a table around it. So I would say, build a table or buy a track saw. Or wait for a decent Delta Unisaw. One came up here for $1,000 asking price on Craigslist. Powermatic is a good brand as is Jet. Actually any cabinet saw.
    Regards,

Tom

I'm in the "Make your last saw, your first saw) bunch. Buying a POS and regretting it, makes life worse. I would rather wait for what I wanted and needed than to be stuck with something that didn't serve my long range needs. Everyday, I use my 1984 Delta Contractor's saw. I have a Unisaw sitting in shop to replace it with. Unisaw has been sitting there about 20 years now. One day (maybe.)

No idea if a riving knife will fit or not. But the blades and router setup can be shifted over to a unisaw. Probably the mobile base and the fence can be also. I bought a used unisaw for $200. i painted it and cleaned the table top and swapped out the 3hp motor into mine. i sold it for the same $200 to the local used tool store with the old 1.5hp motor installed.
    Any halfway decent 10" blade is 30 bucks. I keep the old beat up ones for wood that may have nails in it.
    Bil lD

A couple thoughts, from somebody not far removed from you situation.

My first saw was a sliding compound miter saw about 8 years ago. I still have it, I still get a ton of use out of it both for house projects and my furniture projects. IMO, it's the most useful tool I have for general house projects. Fast, reasonably accurate, straight cuts with more capacity than a circular saw. I've had to do very little fussing with it. And if you're working with longer stock like you do for most things and you want straight, accurate crosscuts a miter saw is way more useful than a tablesaw. I can also honestly say that until I did my first true furniture project last year a tablesaw was non-essential.

Just under 2 years ago I got a Dewalt Jobsite tablesaw. I've been happy with it. But it's defining strength is also it's biggest (well, maybe second biggest) weakness - it's compact and portable. This is something I found useful at least occasionally as I finished up some very specific finish carpentry at my old house. But it's small size is a disadvantage if you're doing serious furniture project with real joinery. It's other big weakness is the tilt adjustment - I absolutely hate it, even zeroing it out for a standard 90 degree cut is a pain. I was, however, able to build my daughter's crib using it and didn't really consider it an impediment - certianly not anymore than my experience. It cut 8/4 Walnut with just a little bit of patience. I really don't do much with sheet goods, when I do need to cut them I make do with my circular saw and/or handsaw. My next tablesaw will be a Sawstop PCS.

- Don't be afraid to buy the jobsite saw if that's what you need right now. You can do serious projects on it, just understand that if you continue down the furniture/cabinet making route you'll want bigger and better.
    - If you anticipate doing a lot of sheet goods, reconsider a jobsite saw, it's probably a bad fit.
    - A new, high quality, one-time purchase miter saw is a lot less than an equivalent tablesaw. If that fits you're expected project better, I would consider going that route.
    - I've had an old Radial Arm Saw that my grandpa gifted me sitting in two different garages for a total of 3-4 years now. I can't bring myself to toss it because of sentimental reasons. However IMO, aside from possibly cut capacity, the miter saw and table saw combo do a better, safer job.

Depending on how old that delta is, the best you'll be able to do is a splitter. You can also make your own splitter and add it to the throat plate. I bought a used Ridgid 3612, pre-riving knife. While they are nice for sure, I couldn't pass up the $250 price. I really wanted the Ridgid 4512, but $750 was a bit steep. I bought my saw which was still made in the USA for $250 and the guy sold me all his goodies for it as well (Incra 1000SE miter gauge, Freud 6" super dado set, board buddies, misc saw blades, feather boards and some other stuff). The guy was moving out of state and was selling off his woodworking stuff, super nice guy and gave me a great price along with a bunch of extra free stuff. Keep an eye out, I held out for a table saw for just about 6 months and then I found that deal. Check craigslist and FB marketplace daily. Don't buy a tabletop saw, they aren't worth the money and have a lot of limitations. Would I have a Sawstop PCS with a 3hp motor and a 50" fence, sure if I had the money, but I make do with my fully functional saw and rather invest in wood for projects.

Blog Entries
    Forgot to hit "post". Sorry if this is out of sequence:

There is a tone being set. I will follow it but, add this . . . Buy used and go cheap. If you pursue woodworking as a hobby you will get another saw after not too long. If you don't, you won't be in too deep. Look for a 1970's or earlier Craftsman 113. (Emerson built) contractor saw. You don't mention your area but, they can be had for sub-$200 around here. This will leave you enough money to get a decent fence.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lafferty View Post
    North-East, New York state to be exact. At the moment this is the thing I was most interested in on CL:

https://worcester.craigslist.org/tls...256918477.html

A neighbor cruised FB marketplace on my behalf and sent me screengrabs of the same listings that are on CL.

After some thinking on it, I am just not especially excited to pay $400 for an old saw that needs some upgrades. If it were $200 I'd *strongly* consider it, but I'm not about to insult the poster
    The Unifence alone is worth $300.

To the OP: if you spend $4-600 on a well-known "old iron" saw you will be able to sell it later for what you have in it, whether contractor or cabinet saw, if you decide you want to go in a different direction.
    Last edited by Marc Fenneuff; 01-04-2021 at 10:58 PM.

I am surprised it has not sold yet. I heard there was some snow today. If it is close I would buy it and take the fence, blades etc and come back later with a truck and crew if you can not pick it up now.
    Bil lD

Just seconding Glenn's post. I'm all but your neighbor, Jim, and purchased a Craftsman 113. saw over the weekend for less than $200. It only needs some elbow grease to clean up and to align the blade. There is another one near Buffalo available right now. I can post a link if you're interested.