Thread: Where to buy-Furniture grade hardwood and veneered panels, Va.

Where to buy-Furniture grade hardwood and veneered panels, Va.

Hi folks,
    I'm moving soon from NYC, where I have been in the millwork business for 35 years, to the Northern Neck of Va. I need references for suppliers of furniture grade veneer panels and hardwood, domestic and exotic. I would guess Richmond is my best bet? I'm spoiled here in NYC, with any material I want at my fingertips, a phone call away. I'm retiring from the business, but setting up my home shop. I no longer need to buy 15-20 sequenced sheets for large projects, but likely a few sheets at a time, and will be looking for rough sawn lumber as well. Any help-suggestions will be appreciated!

Jim L
    Custom furniture and millwork-boat building

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luton View Post
    Hi folks,
    I'm moving soon from NYC, where I have been in the millwork business for 35 years, to the Northern Neck of Va. I need references for suppliers of furniture grade veneer panels and hardwood, domestic and exotic. I would guess Richmond is my best bet? I'm spoiled here in NYC, with any material I want at my fingertips, a phone call away. I'm retiring from the business, but setting up my home shop. I no longer need to buy 15-20 sequenced sheets for large projects, but likely a few sheets at a time, and will be looking for rough sawn lumber as well. Any help-suggestions will be appreciated!

Jim L
    Custom furniture and millwork-boat building
    Northern Neck runs from Fredericksburg to the coast. Depending on where people assume you are you could get responses anywhere from Culpeper to Richmond to Tidewater. May get more useful responses if you narrow it down a little.

That's true, Nicholas. I was purposely a little vague, but my new location is White Stone, at the Route 3 Bridge across the Rappahannock. I'd probably rather drive to Richmond or Fredricksburg than Norfolk, say. But I'm completely open to suggestions. I did millwork once upon a time in Richmond, but that was the '70's. I'd love to know where area woodworkers are buying, and what they like or dislike about the vendors. Thanks again,
    Jim L

Jim -- The Wurth group in Richmond is a good source for plywood. https://www.wurthwoodgroup.com/

As for hardwood, I don't know your area as well, but you have a couple options that are a bit of a drive:
    Northland Forest Products in Troy, VA
    CP Johnson Lumber in Culpeper
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Jim -- The Wurth group in Richmond is a good source for plywood. https://www.wurthwoodgroup.com/

As for hardwood, I don't know your area as well, but you have a couple options that are a bit of a drive:
    Northland Forest Products in Troy, VA
    CP Johnson Lumber in Culpeper
    Hi Tom, Thanks very much. The Wurth Group is a company I'm not familiar with, but looks good, for sheet goods and hardware. Very interesting, and easy to get to from White Stone. I have run across CP Johnson, and it is a bit of a drive, but looks promising for lumber. These are good suggestions. It will take some getting used to. I'm leaving a gated industrial and arts related complex in Brooklyn, with 2 loading docks for tractor trailers and 10' x 16' freight elevators in my building. There are 9 individual shops on my floor. Been there 16 years. Moving to the country with a Subaru Forrester. Guess I'll be needing a truck soon.
    Thanks again!
    Jim

Can’t help you about the suppliers but I will make a comment on your “truck” situation. Several years ago I purchased an Aluma 54” x 10’ bed tilt deck trailer with the 12” side kit. This is a premium aluminum trailer, very nice and torsion axle give a good ride.

Any who it made my truck obsolete and I got rid of it. Like you I have a Subaru forester(actually two swmbo has one as well) and we can haul the kids as well. The bed can haul flat 4x8 sheets of ply and 12’ lumber. I even notched some 2x4 to set on the sides and hauled some 20’ lumber down the center over the tongue. It’s low unlike modern high sided pickups. A mower loads without ramps, it rides like nothing is back there, and is much cheaper than a 4 door truck. I sometimes wish I got the 64” wide when hauling 5x5 sheets of BB ply but the above mentioned notched 2x4 work.