Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cultured meat--

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    MMM...

One thing to realize is that much of the ranch land in the west is not suitable for growing anything other then grass and maybe stunted trees. If you can not have cattle the land is pretty much worthless.
    Bill D.
    I'd rather enjoy the worthless land without the cattle on it. But the cattle do make nice trails for biking.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-06-2021 at 9:45 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

When the cultured meat costs far less than non cultured people will move. The mere fact that only 14% of the product by weight is "fit for human consumption" with regards to all meat products means that if the cultured product is nearly 100% consumable, and the corporate and VC investment doesnt price it out of the market, it should be pennies on the dollar in comparison with scale.

The only thing that motivates the sheep now is pain. Personal pain, financial pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    When the cultured meat costs far less than non cultured people will move. The mere fact that only 14% of the product by weight is "fit for human consumption" with regards to all meat products means that if the cultured product is nearly 100% consumable, and the corporate and VC investment doesnt price it out of the market, it should be pennies on the dollar in comparison with scale.
    Don’t forget about the soup. We use the bones for our soup. And don’t forget about the haggis. And the upholstery. And the glue. And the dog food. Who will think about the pooches. Etc. Currently the whole animal is used.

I can see a boutique niche market only.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Currently the whole animal is used.
    This is more true in some cultures than others.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Currently the whole animal is used.
    The whole animal is actually not used which is why we, and our 1600cc's of cerebral cortex and perhaps 100,000 years of evolution, conjured up mad cow disease when producers got tired of the 86% waste and began the bright idea of rendering down the unsalable beef, brains, spinal column, and all, and in their insane wisdom decided to feed cows back to cows which for thousands of years only ate grass. Talk about the ultimate shot in the foot. Upon the realization of their insanity their rationale was not to stop rendering but instead to simply not feed cow to cows and hogs to hogs but rather to feed cows to hogs and hogs to cow and who knows what else until some semblance of sanity finally set in and they realized it may be best not to muck with the system so much.

The hides of the vast majority of beef slaughtered never make it to your beloved belts, shoes, auto seating (who has real leather anymore) and surely to god you dont have a real leather lazyboy do you?

Dog food accounts for a very small percentage of the 84%.

The whole animal is currently NOT used in any way shape or form. It may be ground up and spread on the ground or something but thats not "use" in any reasonable comparison to the total cost to market.

The whole animal is currently NOT used in any way shape or form. It may be ground up and spread on the ground or something but thats not "use" in any reasonable comparison to the total cost to market.
    What do you suppose happens to the parts of the carcass that are not “used”? I’m looking forward to visiting the burial grounds, maybe you could point out where they are. In the immortal last words of Bessie, “If you seek my memorial, look around you.”

Commerce has its way.

I think it was one of the muck rakers who wrote, of a hog processing factory, that they used the entire animal except for the squeal.
    Bill D.

What do you suppose happens to the parts of the carcass that are not “used”? I’m looking forward to visiting the burial grounds, maybe you could point out where they are. In the immortal last words of Bessie, “If you seek my memorial, look around you.”

Commerce has its way.
    A vast amount of it is either heaped up and piled to rot, or its ground up and spread on the ground to dry out and decompose. Im not arguing against corporate beef/meat production. But if the bulk of the populus were directly aware that any non-egg laying peep (rooster or defective hen), eggs shells and all (the good parts) are immediately ground up live into meal to be fed to other animals (hogs, beef, goats, you name it), as well as numerous other kookiness you'd see a bit of a shift. But no different than politics and sausage.. you keep a lot of that behind the scenes for good reason.. While you cant visit, if you got a good behind the scenes at any medium, forget about massive, production facility... there are thousands and thousands of pounds of material daily that never go anywhere.

My point is, a process that generates only the humanly consumable flesh, the steak, the burger, the chicken breast, the pork chop, without the head, brain stem, rectum, intestinal tract, feces that potentially contaminates the product, the whole nine yards. No doubt one day they will generate a fillet mignon in the actual cut and shape.. eliminating the grain, hay, tractors, diesel fuel, meat cutter,...

A vast amount of it is either heaped up and piled to rot, or its ground up and spread on the ground to dry out and decompose. Im not arguing against corporate beef/meat production. But if the bulk of the populus were directly aware that any non-egg laying peep (rooster or defective hen), eggs shells and all (the good parts) are immediately ground up live into meal to be fed to other animals (hogs, beef, goats, you name it), as well as numerous other kookiness you'd see a bit of a shift. But no different than politics and sausage.. you keep a lot of that behind the scenes for good reason.. While you cant visit, if you got a good behind the scenes at any medium, forget about massive, production facility... there are thousands and thousands of pounds of material daily that never go anywhere.

My point is, a process that generates only the humanly consumable flesh, the steak, the burger, the chicken breast, the pork chop, without the head, brain stem, rectum, intestinal tract, feces that potentially contaminates the product, the whole nine yards. No doubt one day they will generate a fillet mignon in the actual cut and shape.. eliminating the grain, hay, tractors, diesel fuel, meat cutter,...
    Better hang onto that you'll need something to wrap your sausages in.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Better hang onto that you'll need something to wrap your sausages in.
    I thought that was sheep? Bovine intestine would make for some two fisted sausage no?

I thought that was sheep? Bovine intestine would make for some two fisted sausage no?
    My wife used to work at a company that processed and sold natural casings and some of them were called beef bungs and they came packed in barrels with salt from Brazil. Around the holidays they would make custom shapes like football's and candy canes.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Casanova's journals mention it

Meat production is the fourth largest contributer to global warming. "As indicated by a 2011 study, cultured meat can offer many advantages over conventional meat: It would reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 78-96 per cent and require 7-45 per cent less energy and 82-96 per cent less water.Nov 29, 2019" https://skepticalscience.com/How-muc...l-warming.html

There was an article in the NYTimes a few months ago, re how our age might be characterized when far in the future archeologists examine our remains. It will be called “The Age of the Chicken”, for the overwhelming presence of chicken bones in our stratum.

Gotta say I love the variety of topics here. Very enjoyable and often educational.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson