Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cultured meat--

Cultured meat--

Interesting, and maybe a bit spooky... thoughts?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/202...ed-gps-vpx.cnn

(sorry if CNN bothers anyone, but that's where the story is...)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I suspect this is going to be an interesting conversation..."just because". Be nice, folks...thank you in advance!
    ----

Kev, setting aside some societal biases, some of which can't be discussed here, this kind of thing is both inevitable, not to mention essential, for mankind to expand beyond the Earth. There are obvious potential benefits to the food supply and potential benefits environmentally, too. As long as the techniques and processes are done well, of course. Many of the same also applies to growing tissue/organs for medical progress, too. It's all interrelated.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    ... thoughts?
    Inevitable. For all the environmental reasons cited plus some like razor thin profit margins in agriculture, disruptions due to weather impacts, etc, this is the way of the food system in the not too distant future. And I suspect that if the buying public in general truly understood how dirty and vulnerable to disease the growing, slaughter, packing, delivery processes are that land meat on the table, the move to lab grown protein would be a lot faster. I suspect in 20 years, it will be about 50/50 lab vs farm grown. It will take a few generations to make the shift.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Interesting, and maybe a bit spooky... thoughts?
    They’re already drinking reprocessed “waste products” on the International Space Station. So when we’re all living in outer space because our planet has been rendered uninhabitable, synthetic meat also is not much of a stretch. Plus, where do you think those cattle are going to graze on Mars? :^)

Seen any good movies lately?

MMM... Soylent green
    I have always wondered about "cured" meats. Does that mean all the rest is sick?
    One thing to realize is that much of the ranch land in the west is not suitable for growing anything other then grass and maybe stunted trees. If you can not have cattle the land is pretty much worthless.
    Bill D.

PS: Soylent Green is set in 2022
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-04-2021 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    PS: Soylent Green is set in 2022
    Uh oh. Better get cracking on my wine pairings.

I'm not against lab created meat, or anything else really. Spooky, yeah a little but more fascinating than spooky. What humans are capable of these days is incredible. But some of it moves beyond 'spooky' IMO... I'll be honest, the advances in AI are scaring the hell out of me. But, while a computer certainly assisted in the process of cloning chicken meat, at least, ttbomk, a human came up with the idea, not the computer

We don't watch movies. Not because we don't like them, it's more of a 'don't have time' thing
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Looks like those Aussies developing methane free cow chow may be out of luck.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

This was reported a month ago on a tech site I found decades ago called www dot Industrytap dot com. It is a great site for future/current tech that does not allow commenting as it is more for the trades.

https://www.industrytap.com/no-more-...ds-first/55613

I am allergic to poultry, just wondering if would it can be modified (like milk) so that those that are allergic to it can start eating it again. Would love to have some good fried chicken again.

Industrytap website has hundreds of tech articles on it weeks if not months (or ever) before the main stream media posts about it.
    Last edited by Rob Damon; 01-04-2021 at 4:18 PM.

I grew up drinking water from a 30 ft deep well that tapped a sand vein sitting on blue clay, with the wellhead no more than 15' from a feed lot. In other words, I was drinking cattle waste that was considerable less well reprocessed than what the astronauts get out of their hi-tech system. The nitrate levels were sufficient in that well that we had to get bottled water from town for the infants in the family.

Blog Entries
    Here in the DC area, we have a regional chain of restaurants called Silver Diner. It’s sort of a gentrified version of the old vintage diner. One of their burger options is Beyond Meat. I tried it and I was very impressed. I don’t go to SD very often but the next time I do, I will get the Beyond Meat burger again. Not because it’s better for the environment but because it’s a darn fine burger. These folks are way beyond comparing themselves to other meatless burgers. They are playing with the big boys and competing head to head with animal meat.

so I say, bring it on. To be honest, many real chicken nuggets are pretty rubbery so the bar isn’t all that high.

'Just as an aside, I used to do breakfast at the Silver Diner near the office I had to visit frequently in Fair Lakes before I retired...always had good meals there, Roger.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cultured meat will never catch on in the USA. Probably do fine in Europe though. We Americans are just too uncultured.
    Are test tube babies more cultured then the old fashioned kind?
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I suspect this is going to be an interesting conversation..."just because". Be nice, folks...thank you in advance!
    ----
    Right Jim, cause even on Sawmillcreek it's not always where "the cultured meet"
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I think our new house will have cultured marble in the bathroom. Not sure if my wife will let me use that bathroom or I may have to use the uncultured one.
    Bil lD