Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I Cut Through 1/4" Thick Baltic Birch with a 30-Watt Laser Cutter?

Can I Cut Through 1/4" Thick Baltic Birch with a 30-Watt Laser Cutter?

Hi, Everyone. Happy New Year!

I have the Epilog Zing entry-level laser cutter that they rate at 30 watts. However, I've noticed that Epilog and the more reputable laser companies tend to underrate their machines rather than overrate them, so I suspect it's closer to 40 watts.

I have cut only plastics with this machine so far (Delrin, Acrylic, etc.), so this will be my first time cutting wood.

I have Baltic Birch sheets in both 1/8" and 1/4" thickness. For my project, I would prefer to use the thicker material, if possible.

A couple quick questions:

1) Should I be able to get through the 1/4"-thick material no problem with my 30-watt Epilog laser?
    2) If so, what settings do you think might work best, or what settings have you used for a similar type of job?

The official Epilog manual suggests the following settings:

Wood: Cherry/Alder/Walnut -- Vector Cutting:
    1/8" thick = Speed 70%, Power 70%, Frequency 500
    1/4" thick = Speed 15%, Power 100%, Frequency 500

Thanks Very Much,
    Scott M.
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 01-03-2021 at 11:49 PM.

30 watts can cut baltic birch, not very fast but it shouldn't be a problem.

I think the Zing uses an air curtain rather than an air-assist, that may have an effect on edge quality.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    30 watts can cut baltic birch, not very fast but it shouldn't be a problem.

I think the Zing uses an air curtain rather than an air-assist, that may have an effect on edge quality.
    Rich, thanks for responding. Luckily, this wood I'm cutting is to make a jig for a process I need in my shop, a kind of holding thing, so cosmetics and edge quality are not a concern, but thanks.

Do those speeds and settings sound about right? I haven't done any test cutting, but will be.

Thanks Again,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    Do those speeds and settings sound about right? I haven't done any test cutting, but will be.
    15% doesn't mean much to me so I can't say, but I would expect it to cut maybe just a little slower than Alder. It is been a while since I have cut Alder so I could very easily be wrong about that. At any rate it is a good starting point.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

30 watts cutting 1/4 baltic Birch will be very slow. I suggest 100% power and the slowest speed you can run. It will still take at least 2 pass's maybe more
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I was only barely able to do it in one pass on our 40 watt Epilog, at that cutting was incomplete. 1/4" of maple or cherry was easy; the glue in the multiple thin plies seems to make it slow going. You may well have to do two passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    Hi, Everyone. Happy New Year!

I have the Epilog Zing entry-level laser cutter that they rate at 30 watts. However, I've noticed that Epilog and the more reputable laser companies tend to underrate their machines rather than overrate them, so I suspect it's closer to 40 watts.

[...] The official Epilog manual suggests the following settings:

Wood: Cherry/Alder/Walnut -- Vector Cutting:
    1/8" thick = Speed 70%, Power 70%, Frequency 500
    1/4" thick = Speed 15%, Power 100%, Frequency 500
    Three Epilog lasers I've had were 30, 35, and 40W, and a laser power meter rated them no more than 5-10% higher than that. My 40W was checked when new and a couple of years later with no change. I'd guess only way you'd get 40W is if they didn't have a 30W on hand and just put in a hot 35W or actual 40W tube.

No idea what Zing settings mean but, if those numbers are accurate, they are quite different from settings used with Epilog Mini. The 40W mini typically cuts 1/8 BB at 17 speed, 100 power, 500 Hz. Optimal conditions can allow speed to reach 22 but too great a likelihood of getting partial cuts that take longer to deal with than just slowing the machine down to 17 to ensure clean cuts (as long as you keep the lens clean!). Never tried 1/4 BB but I would think it would be quite slow and poor edge quality for the most part, unacceptable speed and quality for commercial work but might be okay for personal usage...

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input. I will probably try to cut the 1/8" BB first. This thick will work for most of what I do. I don't yet have a CNC machine, so this is my best approach at this time.

I'll report back with my results in a week or so.

Thanks, Everyone,
    Scott

I wouldn't think you'll have any issue with baltic birch at 1/4" or less, but be advised that anything rated as "external" will laugh at your laser...it's something about the moisture-resistant glues used to laminate the plys.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I concur with Glen.....on my 45 watt Epilog, I cut 1/8" birch at 15S/100P/500DPI. I think I cut 1/4" at 6S/100P/500DPI.

And Lee is right about that glue....I have more trouble getting through 1/8" than 1/4" due to glue spots.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Hey, Guys, thanks for all the great advice.

Another question:

I'm going to be out running errands today, so I thought I might pick up some other kinds of wood to cut. In their manual, Epilog mentions three kinds: Cherry, Alder, Walnut.

Am I likely to find any of these at Lowe's or Home Depot, or am I looking at a hobby kind of place (or online)?

The size I need is ideally either 1/8" or 1/4" thick, say 12" x 12".

Thanks Very Much,
    Scott

wood crafters.. woodworkers source ... rocklers these places may have what you want

google thin boards
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 01-05-2021 at 1:35 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

also try scrollsaw wood online
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

*many* published speed/power settings are practically useless-- I'd pay money to see any 30w machine 1-pass-cut 1/8" anything at 70% power and 70% speed. That's barely engraving settings-- cutting posterboard at those settings would be a stretch. To get *cleanly* thru 1/8" Rowmark I run my 80w Triumph at full power and 20% speed (about 1" per second). My 30.8 watts as just tested LS900 takes TWO passes at full power and 9% speed to get cleanly thru 1/8" Rowmark...

simply put- you won't know till you run your own tests, because all machines are different. One machine's 20% speed may be 1" per second, another machine's 20% may be twice that, or half that. Same for power output, 50% power sent to a 30w machine won't necessarily mean that 15 watts are being output...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    wood crafters.. woodworkers source ... rocklers these places may have what you want

google thin boards
    Is George Perzel still selling his "thins"? Maybe not, he's not showing up on the member list.

As I recall, he was resawing/sanding offcuts from a local flooring manufacturer, so the size was typically 5.5" wide, maybe 12"-15" long.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.