Thread: Requesting help locating saw sharpening service for an old Disston backsaw

Requesting help locating saw sharpening service for an old Disston backsaw

Greetings and good wishes for 2021 for all! It's been along time since I've last visited the Sawmill. The forum rules may have changed since I was last here, please forgive and advise me accordingly if I transgress on any rules. I'm hoping that someone can give me advice on locating a good saw sharpening service (bonus points if the company is located in Colorado). I've tried to research this locally and have failed. I have an old (but dull) Disston backsaw (D4?) and I have a project this year to build two Morris chairs and the cuts required for the tenons on the curved back slats seems like a great use of a sharp backsaw.

Thanks in advance, Dan.

Try Winsor Saw Co in the Colorado Springs area. They do restoration work including sharpening on Disston and other older saws. Good luck.

Pete Taran at Vintage saws, near Cleveland. LINK
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi Tom, thanks for the quick response back! I'm a bit amazed (and humbled) that someone in Texas has a lead on a Colorado service! :0 Thanks for that sir. If my research is correct on the Disston it's vintage is the 1900's. Seems fitting to me to use an old tool to help build a Morris chair.

Cheers, Dan

Hi Frederick, thanks for that lead! I spent weeks asking around Northern Colorado and in hindsight I should have started here! You're the best!

Regards, Dan

Let us know how it turns out and maybe even let us know how that chair comes out!

Greetings Andrew, so one quick update is Windsor Saw in the Springs area is no longer offering a saw sharpening service. So I'll be shipping my Disston to Vintage Saws in Ohio. I'll update further on the results and give me some time on the chair and I'll post an update there as well. Right now I have all the pieces spread across my workbench, everything is long and planed about 1/16 -1/8" over. Great project for a Colorado winter!

Hi Dan and welcome back. Pete will return your saw nice and sharp and as an expert on Disston saws he may tell you something about your saw. He sharpened my crosscut and sold me (at a fair price) a nice rip saw to go with it.

You will be doing us a favor if you become a member here so you can share pictures of your project.

Hand Saw.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 01-10-2021 at 8:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Circle saw is another source in the Houston area.

Hi Tom, thanks for the welcome back! You're right about Pete, great guy... sadly his assessment of my backsaw was that the saw needed more help than what he would recommend. He's looking for a good worker for a replacement. We haven't finalized a transaction, but when I get the saw I'll share photo's. Cheers, all!