Thread: Jewelry Box Hinges

Jewelry Box Hinges

I have used the search function and have not come up with anything although I know this has been covered.

What jewelry box hinge do you box builders use? Do you use the Brusso stop hinges or something less expensive.

Thanks in advance for the response.

Bill

Bill I just built a small Jewelry box for my Granddaughter and used the Brusso stop hinge. The model was a JB-103 and worked well stopping the lid just in the right place when in the up position.
    Brusso Hinge resize.jpg

I use the Brusso JB-102 or the JB-103 depending on the size of the box. For what I do it's mostly JB-102. Bit expensive but they're a lot easier to install than quadrant hinges.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My box size is going to be 4 1/2" x 6 3/4" x 12 3/4" and the sides will 5/8". I'm going to make this out of Rift Sawn White Oak.

Bill

I'd probably use the JB-102 for your box. Take a look at them at Rockler or Woodcraft.

I did a box tutorial - look toward the end to see the hinges.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Side rail hinges like the Smarthinge or Brusso are easier to install. https://www.brusso.com/side-rail-hin...233.1609720322

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    My box size is going to be 4 1/2" x 6 3/4" x 12 3/4" and the sides will 5/8". I'm going to make this out of Rift Sawn White Oak.

Bill
    I've made a number of jewelry boxes using the hinges shown below.
    IMG_6006_edited-1.jpg
    You might want to take a look at these from Rockler.
    39578-01-1000.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

There are also a lighter duty knock in hinge with barbs. You cut a slot with a very fine blade and then insert them. Used them before for work for a friend, he had used the same ones for many years. He did many 100's of them with no issues. Not the level of what is shown but do the job.

Brusso is an expensive choice at $30 or $40 a pair. Woodcraft sells a small-box hinge they call a 105 degree stop hinge which works well, and costs only $4 per pair. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/h...702d06760016d3

Blog Entries
    I do like the Brusso stop hinges. I have also used Lee Valley "Small Box Stop Hinges for a different look.

bird-fret-box-finished-6.jpgbird-fret-box-finished-3.jpg

Both have been satisfactory over years of use.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for all the help. I'll go with the Brusso stop hinges and the Brusso slide hinge along with a few of the Rockler hinges that Lee recommend.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Brusso is an expensive choice at $30 or $40 a pair. Woodcraft sells a small-box hinge they call a 105 degree stop hinge which works well, and costs only $4 per pair. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/h...702d06760016d3
    Rockler sells a hinge similar to this. I tried a set. They work but they look cheap. My opinion is if you're going to spend a lot of time making an heirloom box, putting these hinges on it devalues the work you did. Spring for the Brusso hinges.

There are boxes you might want to put these hinges on - for example, a box you make to store something in the shop.

Mike