Thread: What is this bracket called? Where can I find them?

What is this bracket called? Where can I find them?

I need some metal mounting brackets and I'm struggling to even know what to call them. They look like closed bar holders (like these), except I need them for small pieces. I can be somewhat flexible, but ideally the brackets would be about 3/8" deep and 2" across. I just spent an hour searching for different terms and haven't come up with anything.

Is there such a thing? What's it called? Where can I buy them? Thanks!zinc-plated-hillman-barn-door-hardware-851902-0-64_145.jpg

Blog Entries
    You used to see clamps like that to organize wires in electrical panels.

I found some using the term "U bracket" though they aren't the size you indicated. You might do a search using the term "metal tie".
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My first thought was a stake pocket, but given the dimensions you're looking for I don't think that will work because those are usually sized for a 2x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bell View Post
    I need some metal mounting brackets and I'm struggling to even know what to call them. They look like closed bar holders (like these), except I need them for small pieces. I can be somewhat flexible, but ideally the brackets would be about 3/8" deep and 2" across. I just spent an hour searching for different terms and haven't come up with anything.

Is there such a thing? What's it called? Where can I buy them? Thanks!zinc-plated-hillman-barn-door-hardware-851902-0-64_145.jpg
    Look for "barrel / slide bolt". I believe most are round bolts, but some are rectilinear and they will be more suitably sized than stake bed components. I also think that you are looking for the "surface strike (plate)" that fits these style of bolts. The challenge will be trying to find someone to sell just the strike portion, rather than the entire bolt assembly. Good hunting.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-01-2021 at 4:34 PM.

At this point, I'd buy some aluminum bar stock and make my own. It's four 90° bends and you can make it in less time than you've spent searching for it.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Another option might be to try to find some "hat" channel of the right dimensions and just slice off sections of the size you need. Not all hat channel has 90 degree bends, but much of it does.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Another option might be to try to find some "hat" channel of the right dimensions and just slice off sections of the size you need. Not all hat channel has 90 degree bends, but much of it does.
    ^Interesting idea. Not sure of the available sizes, but it made me think of DIN rail (35mm wide, and either 7.5 or 10mm high), available in 1m L., either steel or aluminum, typically <$10. The edges would not lend themselves to drilling for screws, but maybe OP's flexibility extends to this feature as well??? Just slice off the length bracket that's needed.

Metal strip, something that will function as an anvil, steel hammer, done. I have an old metal vise that I use for this kind of bending-- clamp the strip and bend at the clamping point. Faster than hunting for a source unless you need a lot of them.

Thanks, everybody. Looks like I'll be making some.