Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paraffin on plane sole

Paraffin on plane sole

For other relative newbies - I just bought some paraffin and tried it on the sole of a plane for the first time. For those who have never tried this, the effect is simply amazing. If anything, the plane sole is now *too* slippery. It pushes along effortlessly. I highly recommend this for anyone who hasn't tried it yet. It has certainly made planing even more of a joy!

I agree. I keep sticks of paraffin and beeswax nearby. Both work well. Just a quick 'scribble' and the plane will glide across the wood.

Yup! Well worth doing.
    You can rub it on saws too.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    It is one of those things you wonder why you didn't try sooner.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I snagged a box of Gulf Wax canning wax (paraffin) at the grocery store years ago and use it on planes, saws, etc.. as Aaron states, the effect is remarkable. It is super cheap and goes a long way. After at least 10 years I’m still on the first slab in the box (out of several).
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    There is usually a hunk of old candle wax on my bench for use on planes and saws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Spokeshaves and the No. 80 like the waxy bottom, too.

I also like to run the wax lightly across band saw and hand saw teeth before an important cut.

Or you can just buy a wood stock plane for much the same effect but at a few more dollars .

I have to keep mine in one of those "no stick" glue tubs because during the desert summer it melts.

ken

Does the wax not create finishing problems downstream? I was always warned against doing this to avoid surface contamination. I've never done the experiment to see if it's an actual problem.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Does the wax not create finishing problems downstream? I was always warned against doing this to avoid surface contamination. I've never done the experiment to see if it's an actual problem.
    Each shaving lifts off with wax on top.

I've never had a board that wouldn't take finish, after using Canning wax this way. I suspect most of the wax stays on the plane sole.

I mostly use wood soled planes, which have about 1/10th of the friction of a metal sole plane. And even a freshly waxed metal sole plane will have more friction than a wooden sole. That said, I still wax my wooden soled planes and they almost push themselves at that point. Additionally, waxing their soles periodically will reduce the wear and tear on the soles. It's not every five minutes like a metal plane, but I'll still do it once a week if the plane is getting a lot of use. The wax stays on a wood sole considerably longer than a metal one for obvious reasons.

I have been using it for years on planes (both Iron and Wood) with no problems. Another is the tilt and blade raising gears on your table saw as it will not load up with sawdust like grease.

I use paraffin most of the time.
    Sometimes I will use crumpled wax paper. It is coated with carnauba wax.
    I have never had a problem with either wax interfering with finishes.

Regards,

Phil

Blog Entries
    I apply Johnsons wax to my plane soles. I makes them slick and prevents rust as well.

No, because the plane's iron comes along and scrapes the wood surface clean....

Only need a few squiggley lines across the sole...NOT the entire block of wax.