Thread: Building Glass Passage Doors,

Building Glass Passage Doors,

Hello All,
    I'm starting the New Year off with a major remodeling project, kitchen, dining area, living room and sunroom renovation. One item on my list for years is to replace our current passage doors for the bedrooms and baths, one idea is to build cherry doors with glass panels. I'm trying to source a particular glass style called reeded glass. I'm thinking this would complement the contemporary style kitchen we are going with. If anyone knows of a source they have used before I'm interested. I can buy 5/32" from my local glass business but that is all they offer is one thickness and one style. Internet searches have been great for finding different Reeded styles but I would have to buy in quantity. I'm building 8 doors I'll attach a picture of what I think I'm looking for. I'm not necessarily looking for tinted as the picture shows.

Thanks all,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Give Peninsula Glass a call (800) 452-6117, they ship nationally.

We put reeded-glass doors on my office and we have gotten quite a few compliments. Door glass has to be safety rated which makes it even more pricey. I looked into purchasing glass and doing a build but the glass was only about fifty dollars cheaper than the pine door with glass installed.

Do you not like the local option , or is it that you like something else ( that you can't really get) better ?

Non commodity items almost always have a minumum order quantity and a higer price. You need to be prepared to pay (and wait) if you want something that isn't mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Give Peninsula Glass a call (800) 452-6117, they ship nationally.
    I used these folks for the glass panels for all the windows I made for the 250 year old stone portion of our home this past year. Great quality and decent prices. While I always advocate for using local sources when possible (my local shop wasn't even close to competitive...almost 2x) I'd not hesitate to buy from Peninsula again.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used OneDayGlass, which is a division of Peninsula Glass. Great service and far cheaper than local, even with shipping from WA to NY! Look under "Glass Tints" for their textured glass offerings. I saw a narrow reed in 5/32" under tempered glass.

John

Yes, the glass must be tempered by code, but since you are the owner, you get a pass on that regulation. Though, I would still temper the panels since those large pieces could be lethal in an accident.

Buy local if you can to avoid high shipping costs. I have a wholesale vendor in New Hampshire that has great prices and quality on their glass, but once shipping is added in, they cannot compete with the local insulator shop.
    I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by David Sochar View Post
    Yes, the glass must be tempered by code, but since you are the owner, you get a pass on that regulation. Though, I would still temper the panels since those large pieces could be lethal in an accident.
    Having had my artery sliced in a run-in with an annealed lite in a door, I would not recommend using anything other than tempered or laminated glass. Tempering is far less expensive than that trip in an ambulance to the ER.

Hello Fellows

I have to say that I contacted Peninsula Glass and you guys were correct about them. I tried two local shops that I always deal with. One my friend from high school owns and she was twice the price. As for comparison on style both local and Peninsula were both the same narrow reeded which is about 1/2” reeds Local shops wanted $200 and the other was $175 per piece. 12” x 64” is the measurements I used. Peninsula was $206 delivered to my door for 2 pieces I’m shocked it’s that much better pricing. I love to use my local people but if I’m going to save that much and buy the same product then I’ll use Peninsula Glass. I’m going to ask for a sample to make sure of what I’m buying

thanks guys I’m amazed. These 2 pieces are for the 24” pocket door the others will be wider for the passage doors.
    As for tempered yes I’m going with tempered glass.

Here is where the local shops are helpful and why I normally use them. I’m thinking I should edge the glass with a neoprene or rubber gasket to have it not rattle in the door frames. I could use space balls or something of that nature but I’m thinking a full edge treatment would be beneficial. Any ideas ? I’ll have to look on a few sites to see what I find.

I was looking for glass in a thicker size possibly 1/4” or 5/16”. I know tempered glass is very strong it just seems 5/32” is pretty thin.

Thanks again for the help
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    Hello Fellows

I have to say that I contacted Peninsula Glass and you guys were correct about them. I tried two local shops that I always deal with. One my friend from high school owns and she was twice the price. As for comparison on style both local and Peninsula were both the same narrow reeded which is about 1/2” reeds Local shops wanted $200 and the other was $175 per piece. 12” x 64” is the measurements I used. Peninsula was $206 delivered to my door for 2 pieces I’m shocked it’s that much better pricing. I love to use my local people but if I’m going to save that much and buy the same product then I’ll use Peninsula Glass. I’m going to ask for a sample to make sure of what I’m buying

thanks guys I’m amazed. These 2 pieces are for the 24” pocket door the others will be wider for the passage doors.
    As for tempered yes I’m going with tempered glass.

Here is where the local shops are helpful and why I normally use them. I’m thinking I should edge the glass with a neoprene or rubber gasket to have it not rattle in the door frames. I could use space balls or something of that nature but I’m thinking a full edge treatment would be beneficial. Any ideas ? I’ll have to look on a few sites to see what I find.

I was looking for glass in a thicker size possibly 1/4” or 5/16”. I know tempered glass is very strong it just seems 5/32” is pretty thin.

Thanks again for the help
    With decorative glass you’re going to be somewhat limited in available thicknesses, most of the choices for reeded will probably be in the 1/8" range. I’d recommend short sections of rubber rod stock in the same diameter as glass thickness between the panel and rails / stiles. McMaster has lots of choices.