Thread: inset hinge - what to use

inset hinge - what to use

I know this is a common topic but can't seem to find what i'm looking for.

I'm building bathroom vanity and figured it'd try something new -- inset door/drawers. I'm still using a face frame (FF) though and build the FF last night but did not think too much about how much the spacing between the edge of the FF and the edge of the vertical divider (side) of the cabinet except where the drawer slide were in play. if i need to i could rebuild the FF as i have not attached it yet.

So for the doors -- i have inconsistent spacing (overhang). Goes anywhere from 0" to probably 3/4". So i can't really use hinges that attach to the back of the FF. In the past i've had overlay doors and used Blum's compact hinges so that distance was never an issue since they just attached to the edge of the FF.

Any suggestions?

I could go either concealed or not but I'm not sure what euro style concealed hinges would work.

If i go with an exposed hinge I'm thinking something like the following:

Amerock PK3180TBORB Oil Rubbed Bronze Functional Partial Wrap Full Inset Hinge with Ball Tip - Single Hinge (build.com)
    Bob C

i'll reply to my own thread as one thing that occurred to me is I guess i could fur out the inside of the cabinet so that the side is flush w/the edge of the FF and then use a hinge suitable for a frameless box. i'd need to only fur it out deep enough to give the hinge something to mount to so maybe 3"x.5"x20" or so.
    Bob C

Glad you found a solution. But I don't understand your description. You talk about inset doors, and then you talk about overhang. I don't see how an inset door would have overhang.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Glad you found a solution. But I don't understand your description. You talk about inset doors, and then you talk about overhang. I don't see how an inset door would have overhang.
    Sorry for not being clear...here's the area i'm talkign about. The FF overhangs the inside of the cabinet sides but not enough to attach anything to. Does this make it clearer what i'm talking about?

FF cab.jpg
    Bob C

If your face frames have enough overhang you can use the hinges in this article
    https://quikdrawers.com/inset-door-m...-frame-cabinet

Just use standard Euro hinges with baseplates and the appropriate blocking on the partitions. The blocking can be individual pieces or full height.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Sorry for not being clear...here's the area i'm talkign about. The FF overhangs the inside of the cabinet sides but not enough to attach anything to. Does this make it clearer what i'm talking about?

FF cab.jpg
    Yes, I see. Your solution -- wood blocking tucked behind the face frame -- is a standard approach.

In lieu of wood blocking, Blum (and probably other manufacturers) make plastic spacers that can be stacked for positioning the baseplate correctly in relation to the cabinet/face frame opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    If your face frames have enough overhang you can use the hinges in this article
    https://quikdrawers.com/inset-door-m...-frame-cabinet
    That's the problem...not enough room for that...
    Bob C

ok...spending more time studying the Blum docs it looks like there are two solutions

1) add blocking like is mentioned above...thanks for that.
    2) they do have mounting plates that are offset...here's the amounts and part numbers. I assume the hinge lets you adjust once you get it close.

6.4mm = 173H9100.04
    9.5mm = 173H9100.06
    12.7mm = 173H9100.08
    Last edited by Bob Cooper; 01-03-2021 at 5:34 PM.
    Bob C

one more question...how does one figure out where to drill the holes for these mounting brackets? not the ones on the doors but for the mounting brackets. It seems like it would be difficult to drill 4 holes (2 doors) set back exactly per spec and spaced just the right distance. The cups in the doors are easy as i can setup the drill press w/a fence but it's not clear how to do the others.

To date i've always used the compact hinges which were easy since they rested on the face frame and you just held the door in place.
    Bob C

I have always made drilling jigs out of plexiglass with a wood fence. The plexi allows you to see a center mark on the face frame, which I put on blue tape. I assume Blum and other mfrs can supply a jig. The setback is typically 37mm from the back of the door to the vertically aligned system holes in the baseplate. Do a mockup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    one more question...how does one figure out where to drill the holes for these mounting brackets? not the ones on the doors but for the mounting brackets. It seems like it would be difficult to drill 4 holes (2 doors) set back exactly per spec and spaced just the right distance. The cups in the doors are easy as i can setup the drill press w/a fence but it's not clear how to do the others.

To date i've always used the compact hinges which were easy since they rested on the face frame and you just held the door in place.
    If you're doing just a couple, you can just lay out the holes on the casework. Setback is 37mm plus the inset door's thickness. Holes are spaced 32mm apart. I've made my own template like that. Or you can buy a template from many sources. Here's one from Rockler -- https://www.rockler.com/jig-it-hinge...gaAm5WEALw_wcB

So in my case where I have a face frame and the door thickness is the same as the face frame (3/4”) I guess it’s just 37mm behind the face frame.