Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concrete is tougher than A2, Cosman method for the save.

Concrete is tougher than A2, Cosman method for the save.

My friendly neighborhood postman delivered a late Christmas present from the good folks at Lie Nielsen yesterday. My Rabbit Block Plane arrived in the afternoon.

I took it to the shop for examination and trials. A disassembly and wipedown commenced. I took the iron to the sharpening station for a touch up on my strop prior to trying it out. As I was assembling it I fumble fingered the iron and it flipped off the bench onto the concrete floor. I'll say that if I tried to get the iron to land edge first over 10 straight attempts, none would impact the floor as squarely and in as such a damage inducing fashion as this did. It was really ugly. Expletives were uttered.

The good news is that my new sharpening setup made short work of the repair. The 1000 Grid Trend Diamond Plate flattened the back and renewed the secondary bevel past the damage in short order. A few strokes on the 6K stone followed by the 16K stone restored the mirror finish. One more trip to the Shaptons for the Ruler Trick turned the back of the cutting edge to a mirror too. In no more that 10 minutes I went from an edge that was totally spoiled to one that was pristine. With my old method it would have taken much longer with much more effort.

The plane works really nice too
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

This is the Galoot's version of the Buttered Toast effect.

You aren’t the only one who’s dropped a brand new blade on a concrete floor! Don’t ask me how I know...

Blog Entries
    My fumbling fingers have had their share of such mishaps.

Glad to hear it was quickly remedied.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One advantage of working by yourself is that stuff like that never happens. If no one else sees it happen, it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    One advantage of working by yourself is that stuff like that never happens. If no one else sees it happen, it didn't.
    Thanks For the insight. Now I never make mistakes
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Bummer man. Glad it was easy to fix!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

8. I was under the impression that the Rob Cosman’s method implied that you buy a WoodRiver plane. If you buy Lie Nielsen, then it may just be called the original David Charlesworth’s “ruler trick” :>

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Andrieux View Post
    I was under the impression that the Rob Cosman’s method implied that you buy a WoodRiver plane. If you buy Lie Nielsen, then it may just be called the original David Charlesworth’s “ruler trick” :>
    The sharpening method, not the shilling for Chinese planes method.

I feel your pain!

When you drop such a thing, first, and foremost,

do NOT try to catch it.

Last time I dropped something, it was a chisel; a very sharp chisel. The chisel fell true and straight with the pointy end rushing head first towards the welcoming concrete with the same intensity and speed with which I head towards the dessert table at a buffet. My calf made a valiant yet useless attempt to slow the decent of the chisel towards the beckoning concrete.

This left me with lots of blood, a pretty serious cut, and a chisel in need of repair.

When a razor sharp blade is plummeting towards my foot, this fat old man has catlike reflexes. Think ninja cat. Learned the hard way in college when an X-acto knife rolled off a drafting board and buried itself in the top of my foot like a lawn dart. It would have been cool without the pain and blood.

Yep, that was the lesson in the die shop as well whe we were working on big, heavy die plates and such... Get your parts out of the way. Let it fall. While it's no fun, it's a lot easier to fix a boo-boo in a chisel or plane than it is to pay for the stitches and such

This thread has raised a question: when you drop a plane or chisel blade on concrete, should it be A2 or O1?

I've only dropped one plane iron in my life. It was my dumb luck that it ended up embedded in my ankle, severing two tendons (neither of which could be repaired surgically). Count yourself lucky!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    This thread has raised a question: when you drop a plane or chisel blade on concrete, should it be A2 or O1?
    we need a sub thread.....