Thread: Penance for past sins - removing adhesive residue from masking tape?

Penance for past sins - removing adhesive residue from masking tape?

Sometimes I never learn. I started a project several years ago, I used masking tape to mark all the rough cut pieces. Then life events, along with my own bad habits, sidelined that particular project. Now I have time and pulled out all of the pieces. Of course it’s no surprise that all the masking tape markers took a bit of struggle to remove, and residue from the adhesive is left where each piece had been. Before I go off on a high school chemistry experiment, what does the group recommend for cleaning or removing the residue, hopefully without damaging the wood? The wood is cherry, if that matters.

Thanks, all! Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

I'd probably just sand it off but that clogs up your sandpaper. Otherwise, I've found that lacquer thinner takes most adhesive residue off.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Goo Gone is one product to try for this. Some other solvents with names like that that are made for removing adhesives and labels. I infer you're concerned about staining or color changes from the chemicals? Try it on a scrap piece first.

I usually would fix something like that with a cabinet scraper. The adhesive won't have penetrated the wood more than a few thousands, so it should scrape to clean wood quickly. I just did that to remove 3M Super 100 from the top of the Baltic Birch of my Biesemeyer fence side I just replaced.

I use plain old paint thinner to remove labels and residue. I have only used oli based finishes after doing so. (I have a hunch that a water based finish wouldnt work well after removing residue with paint thinner, but that's a guess.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I usually use Mineral Spirits, which works for most, not all adhesive residue.

I use Goo Gone for stubborn ones.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gulseth View Post
    ...I used masking tape to mark all the rough cut pieces.

...The wood is cherry, if that matters.
    You mention that the pieces had been rough milled. This implies to me that further milling (joint/plane/cut) is necessary. I would just scrape the tape off with whatever residue comes with it, then mill to dimension. Being cherry, you probably need to mill all faces anyway to remove uneven darkening of surfaces.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gulseth View Post
    Sometimes I never learn. I started a project several years ago, I used masking tape to mark all the rough cut pieces. Then life events, along with my own bad habits, sidelined that particular project. Now I have time and pulled out all of the pieces. Of course it’s no surprise that all the masking tape markers took a bit of struggle to remove, and residue from the adhesive is left where each piece had been. Before I go off on a high school chemistry experiment, what does the group recommend for cleaning or removing the residue, hopefully without damaging the wood? The wood is cherry, if that matters.

Thanks, all! Marty
    Featured alcohol works fine and doesn't effect the wood. Goo Gone is oily.

Do not use lacquer thinner if the pieces are stained or finished.

I use Toluol (I get mine at Menards). Same as Goo Gone, only a lot cheaper.

3M Adhesive Remover.

Acetone is the champ for adhesive residue

depends on the adhesive but alcohol or mineral spirits are good suggestions. Wd40 too but on wood it may leave residue for a while.