Thread: Powder Room Vanity

Powder Room Vanity

Having recently retired, I'm hoping this is one of several pieces I can show as I build some furniture for our new retirement home, once I get my shop set up, that is. This is a piece I did a few months ago, so I could give it to the plumbers and trim guys to install. There were several firsts for me on this project. First time working with a big natural edge slab, first original design and first time making a mockup.

As I was sketching some designs on paper to go over with the boss and her designer, the idea of a natural edge piece came up, so natural edge it was. After looking at lots of ideas on line, we finally chose a slab of Mappa burl. I will need to design some other pieces to use the rest of it. After agreeing on a design on paper, I built a full size mock-up out of construction pine, scrap plywood and mdf. Very glad that I did, since we made several changes, included making the legs a little smaller, creating a floating top and curving the aprons.

The walnut is some walnut I've had for almost 20 years, purchased from a fellow Creeker. It was too nice to pass up, and I knew I would eventually find a project. Finish is General Finishes Endurovar.

Vanity 2.jpgVanity 1.jpg

Not a lot of room, but here it is in place. The back splash was originally to be a long piece of natural edge, but I cut the slab in the wrong order, so didn't have a long enough single piece. So, inspired by all the live edge/epoxy tables on the web, I used several small pieces with an epoxy pour. My wife likes it better than the planned one so all is well that ends well!

Vanity 4.jpg

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    That's a striking piece! Nice work, and even better because your wife likes it! And now I have to go look up Mappa Burl...

Don't like the sink. Love the wood top!! Don't like seeing the floor through the front corners. I would use small scraps of
    that wood glued under the top to close the holes.

That's a beautiful piece of wood, used in a unique way. I like what you did with the backsplash too. The base is simple and sensible, so it doesn't distract from the top. For my house, I'd close up the front corners as Mel suggests, but nothing wrong with your approach - it's just a different look. This will definitely be a conversation piece in your new home!

Look forward to seeing more as you build it. Congratulations on your retirement!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That was a wonderful way to highlight that particular piece of burl! Very nice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    That's a beautiful piece of wood and a unique piece. Nicely done - and I got to look up and learn what mappa burl is.

Just saw this today Mark. Nicely done and a great recovery from a "whoopsie".
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Coming in late, Mark. Very artistic piece. Great looking burl and love the backsplash. It all goes together nicely.

Thanks for all the kind words, gents. As far as seeing he floor, I probably took the picture from the only angle that allows that, but it was specificalaaly the goal as requested by "the client". Happy wife, happy life!