Thread: G1079 Grizzly Double Drum Sander - Howling from drums

G1079 Grizzly Double Drum Sander - Howling from drums

When I bought this, there was no such thing occurring on the test board the previous owner demonstrated. Not knowing any different, when I got it home and setup the drums according to the specs in the manual. When operating the sander, I was only able to move the table up by less than an eighth of a turn. Even then, this ear piercing squeal emanated from the drums. I have 80 and 120 grit papers on the drums. I checked the bearing and replaced two, changed the drum drive belt and ensured the motor was tight. Has anybody encountered this. I'm in the process of sending a video to Grizzly to see if their techs can help me.
    THanks for any help on this. My neighbours about 1000' away wondered what was going on??!!

Does it squeal only when board is going through?

Normally I do several passes at same depth setting. Is that what you are doing?

An eight of a turn is probably WAY too much. Drum sanders are sanders, not planers. 0.010" is about the maximum you can take off and 0.003 - 0.005" is a far better operating range.

John

My big single drum sander will squeal if I try ans take off too much at one time. 50” woodmaster

Hopefully the OP can post more information. It sounds like he tried to take off too much and the drum belt is slipping. Most likely just someone trying to learn a new tool.