Thread: Pest invasion

Pest invasion

Hello, I wonder if I can get some collective insight/knowledge from the group. Approximately, 20 months ago I stacked some 2" think slabs of hickory that I had cut by a gentleman using a Wood Miser. The lumber was stacked and stickered immediately under metal roofing panels. I just took a look at the top layer of boards and found some small holes on a few of the boards approximately 1/8" in diameter. I was about to bring a few pieces into an unheated section of an outbuilding. My plan was to let them acclimate in an unheated section of small barn/woodshop before bringing into the heated woodworking area of the same building. I decided to let them stay where they and get someones opinion of the danger of bringing wood inside that has not been through a kiln. My fear is risking bringing insects inside where the heat will worsen the situation. Any thoughts on the risk of doing this? Thanks, Jack

Try to get in touch with Gene Wengert, a wood expert.
    also read this https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....tion-questions

I've never had any problems with bugs getting into my shop, but I have had bugs bore holes in some lumber I've air dried. Maybe I've just been lucky. Now I have a sterilization kiln and don't have to worry about it. Turns out, building one is pretty darned simple. A box of 2" foam board, a fan, and a 1000W oil filled radiator heater is all you need for 500 BF, stickered. Heat up at 25 deg / day, hold at 140F for one day, cool down at no more than 40 deg/day.

John

Bruce, thanks for the information. I may see if it is possible to pose a question to Gene Wengert.
    John I am going to explore the sterilization kiln. I also think I may bring a piece to the bandsaw and see what I encounter inside. Thanks, Jack