Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guard style for minimax FS 30c

A quick search says the guard is about $1800. I'm having a hard time picturing how a guard can cost that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    A quick search says the guard is about $1800. I'm having a hard time picturing how a guard can cost that much.

I wondered when that would get noticed

Seriously, though: Suvamatic stuff is awesome but not cheap. We can order it as an OEM option on Format4 machinery (just like Aigner) but not on the smaller Felders or Hammers. They make an awesome riving knife mounted pop-up sawblade guard. The issue with Suvamatic is that they don't (unless that's changed recently) have any direct distributor here in the US. Scott & Sargent in the UK is the nearest I can think of.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    I’m just glad there are folks out there making nice equipment. Things tend to get exponentially more expensive as they improve, that’s the nature of this.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Wolfy View Post
    Yea, that was a good video.

I actually ordered my Hammer A3-41 with an extra factory blade guard, which added like $30 to my order. The plan is to cut it in half, so that when I'm using the fence at a (closer to the user side) location, I can not have to step around a 12"+ wide guard. On a slow boat from Europe. Arriving next month...

I wish they offered the folding comfort guard for the Hammer, though.
    Might reconsider cutting it in half to cut into 1/3 and 2/3 this would give you multiple widths instead of just 1 width
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post

Yes indeed. That guard costs almost as much as I paid for my used FS-30. I know you can't put a price on bodily parts, but basic guards and situational awareness has worked well for about 40 years.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Might reconsider cutting it in half to cut into 1/3 and 2/3 this would give you multiple widths instead of just 1 width
    Ron
    I did exactly that when I bought my 16" J/P years ago. Having three different lengths of guard is incredibly flexible. It let's me do edges without reaching over the whole machine or having to navigate around an unwieldy guard sticking out where I want to stand.

Blog Entries
    My guard is on its last legs so I plan to buy a guard for the SCM 'Nova' jointer and either use it as is or turn it into a segmented style guard. The nova guard has a cast iron mounting point and is a bit more substantial than the plastic job that comes on the minimax machines.

I used the Martin segmented guard when I was at Chris Hall's shop last year and it was nice to be able to joint narrow pieces without having to walk around 20" of guard, 9" of guard or any amount of guard. It folds down completely flat to the machine.

Ultimately I feel about this like I do about any of the other machines I own, situational awareness and careful planning and going to do more to prevent injury than anything else.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Ron
    Actually, that was the plan, Ron. I was thinking it would do well at 6" & 10".

I probably should have done that years ago, when I had a Felder BF631, or on my Jet J/P 12"HH. It's always been a nuisance. I'm going to make a rapid adapter for the handwheel, too.

my view still is they need to be better. They impede too much depending on how you work.

If you edge joint a board you can pull your fence over and work in the first three inches. At that point the guards that stick out the side are almost comical. I know of two people that have lost fingers and think both were pork chop guards. The board held the guard away. Even the pork chop the folds over the side is still a fail at the end of the board, its only purpose like the pork chop is to cover knives the further to the right you work on the machine. No protection on he final of the board as it passes over the knives. When the board is on the knives the board is a guard in itself and the longer it is the better.

I had looked for a world class fail I had seen before and didnt find it and while you tube bouncing saw this, far from ideal. how do you get rid of the photo below.

9A.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 9.JPG (46.1 KB, 7 views)
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 01-07-2021 at 2:54 PM.