Thread: Saw Blade Stabilizers, Yes or No?

Saw Blade Stabilizers, Yes or No?

I've always had stabilizers on my 10" cabinet saw. My only objection is that it would minimally reduce the depth of cut because it would be contacting the blade insert at the blade's maximum height. The question is are stabilizers really meant for thin kerf blades as opposed to "regular" blades that have typical 0.125" wide kerfs?

As I've progressed in my table saw journey from a bench-top saw up through a cabinet saw and thin kerf to regular kerf blades I've never seen the need to use a stabilizer.

Blog Entries
    I use regular kerf blades without a stabilizer. I quit using thin kerf blades several years ago.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I use regular kerf blades without a stabilizer. I quit using thin kerf blades several years ago.
    Interesting that you should say that because what is sparking my question is that I ordered a thin kerf blade and intend to use one on my Unisaw for the first time in 30+ years. Always thought thin kerf blades were unstable but may have been wrong all of these years.

Thanks

I run blade stabilizers because I have them as long as they don't interfere with depth of cut. Do have different sizes, bought them 35 years ago when first got into buying good blades and still running a cheap table saw.
    Ron

Never tried them because I've never seen a problem for which I thought they might be the solution. I do buy very good quality blades.

Blog Entries
    I don't use blade stabilizers. Modern blades except the really cheap ones don't need them. A proper saw alignment will do far more than a blade stabilizer to improve cut quality. Even on my 1 Hp craftsman I run full kerf blades with no issues.

I use them on my RAS. I don't know if they improve the cut (I suspect not) but they are significantly quieter. Even on my Forrest blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Leary View Post
    I use them on my RAS. I don't know if they improve the cut (I suspect not) but they are significantly quieter. Even on my Forrest blades.
    I use one on my Forrest WWII thin kerf per recommendation from Forrest.