Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for Advice on Shop Layout/Dust Collection

One thing I realized in my first shop, and fixed in my present one, is that you really need to think about infeed and outfeed space. Having 7-8' in front and behind equipment like your jointer (subtracting 1/2 the table length), planer, and table saw makes running long wood through it possible.

Nothing more frustrating than getting a board home, and realizing you can't work with it.

Equipment on wheels with an area that it can be rotated to works for this if needed. And making the heights of equipment standard so boards can run over your outfeed table, for example, before going into your planer. I just raised up my planer 4", and it's made a world of difference in my workflow.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    Anyone have any opinions about skipping the cartridge filter and just venting outside? I assume very little will actually make it out there since most of it goes in the cyclone, but any input would be great. Thanks
    Climate matters on this decision. In my area, since I use both AC and heat, depending on the season, venting outside wouldn't be something I'd do. But if that isn't a concern, venting outside is a perfectly valid thing and there is little or no debris...unless you overfill your bin or have a leak between the cyclone and the bin. Noise can be a factor, but directing the air downward can help with that. Oversizing your vent is a good thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

E2190198-3154-4A62-ABB6-3A2D06C5CFA6.jpg0949974B-8C14-40EA-8865-AA1640D11DC3.jpgAEF35867-B94E-4527-9889-1D0DFAAF431F.jpg8FA450C1-6667-44FE-BE42-05B5053BD3CF.jpgAEF72120-F79C-45A2-9340-56EE8312E9EE.jpgE2190198-3154-4A62-ABB6-3A2D06C5CFA6.jpg0949974B-8C14-40EA-8865-AA1640D11DC3.jpgAEF35867-B94E-4527-9889-1D0DFAAF431F.jpg8FA450C1-6667-44FE-BE42-05B5053BD3CF.jpgAEF72120-F79C-45A2-9340-56EE8312E9EE.jpgJosh, here’s a couple of pictures.I never got around to doing the diagram. I will try again tomorrow. As you can see from the pictures I have a bit of a mess right now as I am in the middle of a cabinet project. As Alan said , getting the machines arranged so you have at least 8 feet infeed and outfeed is ideal. Moving the planer over I can saw 4x8 sheet goods. The worst thing about a tight space is finding room for all the parts and room for assembly. The Bora Centipede was a nice addition. I use it for extra out feed and an assembly table. My Clear vue cyclone is in an attached closet outside in the back of the shop. I originally had filter but now I vent it outside. It will suck out some heat after a bit. The convenience is well worth it. It rarely gets below 25 here.
    Last edited by Charlie Jones; 01-06-2021 at 11:28 PM.
    Charlie Jones

1F6B6BD9-4119-4DD2-A165-CDB2C4E55B6B.jpg1F6B6BD9-4119-4DD2-A165-CDB2C4E55B6B.jpgHere is a shot from the back of the shop. I have assembled two cabinets since yesterday. I have about 12’ between the door and saw.
    Charlie Jones

940A9D29-1DC4-4436-803C-CD064DAC2152.jpgHere is a rough drawing. I hope it helps.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    940A9D29-1DC4-4436-803C-CD064DAC2152.jpgHere is a rough drawing. I hope it helps.
    Hey Charlie thanks a lot for all the pics. Definitely helps. So many ideas running through my head on the layout, but I'm definitely getting a better understanding of what I should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    One thing I realized in my first shop, and fixed in my present one, is that you really need to think about infeed and outfeed space. Having 7-8' in front and behind equipment like your jointer (subtracting 1/2 the table length), planer, and table saw makes running long wood through it possible.

Nothing more frustrating than getting a board home, and realizing you can't work with it.

Equipment on wheels with an area that it can be rotated to works for this if needed. And making the heights of equipment standard so boards can run over your outfeed table, for example, before going into your planer. I just raised up my planer 4", and it's made a world of difference in my workflow.
    Yea I'm definitely going to put pretty much every tool on wheels. That's a great point about raising up certain tools. I could absolutely see that solving some of my spacing issues. Thanks for the help Alan!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Climate matters on this decision. In my area, since I use both AC and heat, depending on the season, venting outside wouldn't be something I'd do. But if that isn't a concern, venting outside is a perfectly valid thing and there is little or no debris...unless you overfill your bin or have a leak between the cyclone and the bin. Noise can be a factor, but directing the air downward can help with that. Oversizing your vent is a good thing.
    Yea the noise I think would be my biggest problem. I think I'll stick with the filters for now. I'm already worried about making too much noise even with a fully insulated garage.

Yes, exterior venting is best for a more rural area where neighbors are "less close" and the redirected noise (because of a bend toward the ground) has enough distance to dissipate. Venting outside is not likely the best choice in a more suburban/urban area because distance isn't a remedy for the house.

I actually could vent outside here and have in the past actually contemplated it for at least the warmer part of the year. But once I put in the MiniSplit...it was out of the question.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    Hey Charlie thanks a lot for all the pics. Definitely helps. So many ideas running through my head on the layout, but I'm definitely getting a better understanding of what I should do.
    Something different may work better for you. I like having enough i feed and out feed. I keep most everything on mobile bases just in case.
    Charlie Jones