Thread: Grizzly G2790 - Universal Knife Grinder

Grizzly G2790 - Universal Knife Grinder

Anyone here own and use one?
    seems to get good reviews on Grizzly.com

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...izFjaEyb4qEfQE
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

It kinda reminds me of my Delta knife grinder. Deltas knife grinder is very fussy to set up making it nearly impossible to grind the same angle on each knife. The second short coming is the clamping part has to clamp the blade very straight as close to the same straightness that the jointer or planer head does to the knife.
    If it doesn’t you’ll get a convex or concave edge.
    The dry grinding part would be a deal breaker for me. Because it’s alot of steel to remove when there’s a deep nick.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I bought one last year and used it for my 16" jointer knives back before I installed spiral head.

To sum it up, I'd say it works okay.

The dry grinding is a subpar way to sharpen, as you'll overheat the knives very quickly. You can't remove big nicks very easily. The adjustments and clamps are all average-feeling. You just slide the upper metal piece (with your knives clamped in it) left to right, but since it just rests on the lower metal bar and doesn't really attach, it's pretty easy to introduce minor variations in your hand pressure, etc. In the end it results in less-than-perfectly straight knife edges. Some folks are fine with that, and if you're just rough planing lumber all day, then this sharpener will definitely save you some money. But you'll definitely get better results sharpening your knives with a professional. Sharper and more accurate. Just depends on what you level you need.

I own one .I have used mine to sharpen my 20'' planer knives until I sold the planer. There was a bit of a learning curve ,but I was very happy with the results once I figured out how to use it. The key is very light cuts and moving the blade quickly and consistently across the wheel. You have to speed up a little right at the end of your stroke to not over grind the ends and burn the steel. I practiced with an old knife to set up and figure it out. I will still be using it for my 16'' jointer knives as needed. I did shim the carriage where it attaches to the cast iron grinder top, as mine had a slight amount of play. A piece of a shim stock from a pop can fixed it easily.