Thread: No wiggle cabinet

No wiggle cabinet

https://www.hardwareresources.com/no_wiggle_familyHi,
    I’m working on building a bath vanity. Will have two 8 x 30 inch pull out cabinets on each side, so drawer box/shelf will be about 6 inch wide. One with have a drawer blade outlet for wife’s hair dryer. Cabinet will be made out of 3/4 ply, box out of 1/2 Baltic with shelf on bottom and then hair “station” on top. Will use blum under mounts. Any way to make the top less wiggly? I’ve been looking at the no wiggle cabinet. They use a center under mount glide to help stabilize. Would this be hard to setup in conjunction with the Blum? Any other ideas?
    thanks!!
    Last edited by Neil Selzer; 01-01-2021 at 6:10 PM.

Blum Tandems are my default slides. But they don't work well in this case. Really the only thing holding the drawer box down to the Blum slides is gravity. There is almost no resistance to picking the drawer up, or against leaning the drawer side to side. Good ol' Accuride-type ball-bearing slides would be much better for you in this regard. I'd be inclined to install them fairly high on your pullout.

Ok, thanks for the advice! Would it work or be appropriate to install two slides on each side?
    thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Selzer View Post
    Ok, thanks for the advice! Would it work or be appropriate to install two slides on each side?
    thanks again!
    I think that would not work well. The two slides would have to be exactly parallel, or else they would bind on each other as you roll the drawer in or out.

Ok, makes sense. Do you recommend a particular accuride model? Thanks for your help!

You can add a slide at the bottom to add resistance to horizontal racking. Accuride 3832 or similar should work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Selzer View Post
    thanks again!
    If you look closely at the photos in your link there are clearly two sets of slides, one high and one low on each pull out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If you look closely at the photos in your link there are clearly two sets of slides, one high and one low on each pull out.
    What they've done is to use an undermount slide at the bottom, and an Accuride-type slide at the top -- turned sideways. That is, the undermount slides support the weight of the pullout, and the ball bearing slide at the top controls left-right movement. The slide at the top doesn't seem to be a standard slide. It has what looks like unusual brackets, perhaps to prevent binding binding against the bottom slide.

Speculation... they might only have slides on the left of the drawer.

I've built wooden drawers intended to hold hair dryers and curlers. I was concerned about hot tools scorching the finish on the drawer bottom. So I lined the drawer with a silicone baking sheet. They withstand very high temperatures. You can find them in all sorts of colors and textures.

Any way to make the top less wiggly?
    Use two pair or slides - jsut liek they do.

If you watch the install videos you can see exactly how they execute it. The Germans have been doing this sort of thing for a couple of decades now. It's a lot easier to engineeer on framless cabinets.

You could easily just build two separate drawers, then tie them together with a front and a back. I've done pantries with three and four sets of undermounts in this manner. I don't think I've ever run into a wiggling issue.

Blog Entries
    After watching the two installation videos, The only thing special about their no wiggle cabinets are the two brackets on the upper slide. The two metal brackets could easily be made from wood or metal fabricated in your shop. Use any soft close under mount slides and a good quality full extension slide for the upper slide. If you attach a wood bracket to the back of the upper slide and have the two mounting screws that are going into the back panel so they stick out of the block you could easily mark the back wall of the cabinet. Make your own vertical "drawer".
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for all the help! Long time lurker, first time poster.