Thread: JET JWBS-14DXPRO Cons?

JET JWBS-14DXPRO Cons?

Considering a band saw for the usual reasons. So many models are out of stock and this Jet seems like a relatively new one with decent specs for my needs and price point.

So my question is what would/could I regret buying this machine? Currently limited to 110v but that might change soon (TBD) but I don't expect or anticipate above average duty for a garage woodworker.

https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwb...aw-kit/710116K

I am fine with no miter gauge, which I have, but will need a fence.

Plan to use it do some re-sawing of 8-10 max boards, some contour work and perhaps some ripping. Probably not much cross cutting.

John,

I bought a JWBS14-SFX in 2020 and I like it a lot. I looked on Jet's website for the 14DXPRO and it looks like a nice saw too. The SFX uses a 116 inch blade and will resaw up to 13 inches. Looks like the DXPRO uses 105 inch blades which should be more widely available and resaws up to 12 inches. I don't think 1 extra inch resaw capacity is a big deal at all. The structure of the DXPRO is cast iron and the SFX is steel. Both are strong materials but I wanted a steel frame saws because I think they may be stiffer. But both are rated to handle a 3/4 blade. I think the one difference that would make me want the SFX is the motor. I think the DXPRO has a 1.25 hp motor and my SFX has 1.75 hp motor. But that would likely only make a difference on really deep cuts and/or really hard wood. The SFX also weighs about 50 lbs more.

I got my SFX for $1,000 on sale. I think the normal price is more like $1,200. If the DXPRO is significantly cheaper or you judge the differences differently I think it could be a good saw for you. I did not look closely but the SFX fence may also be taller and shorter (it flips), it did not look like the DXPRO did that. But I still think the DXPRO is a nice saw. I used to use a much less capable wooden frame bandsaw with a 1/2 hp motor. I was still able to do many things with that saw. The DXPRO is HUGELY better than my old saw and for many things, equivalent to my SFX. I am very sure I will not upgrade again, my SFX does everything I need it to.

Dust collection on the SFX is also quite good but I built a little chute to go in the lower housing to channel dust to the port better. The only place I have dust when using it is a little on the table.
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 01-01-2021 at 4:42 PM.

Thanks a lot of the detailed and concise opinion

Blog Entries
    I have one and I like it. I have a riser block. I buy my blades on line from tenryu.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have one and I like it. I have a riser block. I buy my blades on line from tenryu.
    Hmmm, I looked up that vendor because I never heard the name and I couldn't find band saw blades. If you have a link I would appreciate it.

I bought the DXPRO about 2 years ago and it does all of the things that I want it to. I ordered the saw on sale through Home Depot and saved on shipping after store pickup. The motor may appear underpowered but it also forces you to keep your saw blade sharp. I've read comments where tensioning a 3/4" may be problematic and have never used one. Also the biggest complaint is the blade tensioning adjustment where it's located on top and can be difficult to turn. I'm tall enough where that isn't a problem. The cast iron structure and wheels are solid as is the unit base. Ball bearing guides are also nice. Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    I bought the DXPRO about 2 years ago and it does all of the things that I want it to. I ordered the saw on sale through Home Depot and saved on shipping after store pickup. The motor may appear underpowered but it also forces you to keep your saw blade sharp. I've read comments where tensioning a 3/4" may be problematic and have never used one. Also the biggest complaint is the blade tensioning adjustment where it's located on top and can be difficult to turn. I'm tall enough where that isn't a problem. The cast iron structure and wheels are solid as is the unit base. Ball bearing guides are also nice. Best wishes
    Thanks Fritz, if you don't mind me calling you that, for your opinion but I think I am leaning towards a Rikon 10-326 that I didn't know about earlier. Seems to do the right things well. Bigger motor, easy tool-less adjustments, good warranty, available sooner in these crazy days and a pretty good sized following but I am still evaluating. Main office also happens to be in my home state, keeping my neighbors working and all.