Thread: Another reason to be a volunteer firefighter, and question

Another reason to be a volunteer firefighter, and question

Today we had a pretty good size storm come through east lauderdale county here in north al knocking down a couple of trees across the roads around my house. being on the volunteer fire dept here, i went out as usual to help clean up. BUT, the last tree we cut up was a very very good size cherry. i didnt get a chance to measure it, but i was able to come away with 5, count em, 5 crotches from this single tree. the smallest being 12"! that was the only one i could put in the back of my truck by myself.
    cant wait to turn em!!!
    the question is.... what do you all usually use to preserve these pieces a little. i've heard of waxing, but i'm not clear as to what i should use.
    what about ancorseal? i've used it on logs before. will it work on smaller pieces?
    thanx
    brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Hammond
    the question is.... what do you all usually use to preserve these pieces a little. i've heard of waxing, but i'm not clear as to what i should use.
    what about ancorseal? i've used it on logs before. will it work on smaller pieces?
    Anchorseal would be my choice...it's the right preparation for the job and wonderful for sealing turning blanks. Paraffin wax is also acceptable, but you need to get it hot enough than when it "drys", it stays clear. If it's milky, it was not hot enough to penetrate the end grain properly...this according to my 80-year-old wood supplier who really knows what he is talking about. Face it...Anchorseal is much easier! My 5-gallon pail was only about $40 delivered when I bought it and comes in handy all the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As Jim suggested, get some AnchorSeal. I use it on the end grain of my rough turned bowls too.
    In my experience, you would be wise to rough turn the bowls as soon as you can. Around here in Eastern VA cherry that sits around checks quickly. In fact I coat my blanks on all sides with AnchorSeal if there is much figure to the wood.
    If the rough turned bowls have much figure, I often will boil them.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

Anchorseal is a wax in solution.
    Zack Jennings
    Refugee from the Pond