Thread: Bye Bye Miss American Pie...

Bye Bye Miss American Pie...

An incredible piece of work. Follow the lyrics closely together with the photos. They synchronize beautifully to explain each verse.
    Although Don McClean only released the song in 1971, for those of us who grew up in the 50’s and 60’s this is a great piece with some very poignant moments in the history of those times. And for those of you who did not, it’s a taste of what you missed.
    "American Pie" was the name of the plane in which Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and The Big Bopper were killed when it crashed in 1959 – and I knew the chorus about music dying on that day. Having listened to American Pie for many years and thought I understood what was being sung, I now realize that I only got very little of it.
    However, when the words are put together with pictures and film clips the song takes on a new meaning It took a lot of thought to produce this and it brings back lots of memories and also makes the lyrics really come alive!
    Those were the days and some of us were very fortunate to grow up during that period of time, those who are younger please enjoy and try to understand.......It was a different time!!!!

<strong>

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

That was pretty interesting Jim. I enjoyed it.
    Not sure I agree with every "interpretation" or picture, but it was sure thought provoking.
    Thanks for posting.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    A great collage and remembrance of many of our younger years.

A restaurant in town has a 1950's theme. One of the items that used to be on the wall was flyer for a concert by those killed on the plane crash. My recall of the flyer was the date on it was after the crash.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Interesting
    But Don McClean never said what it all meant to him.
    This is just someones interpretation of the song.

Howard Garner

Thanks,Jim. It's still good ,a primal scream by a guy who can sing. Yeah ,I agree with the Buddy Holly thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A great collage and remembrance of many of our younger years.

A restaurant in town has a 1950's theme. One of the items that used to be on the wall was flyer for a concert by those killed on the plane crash. My recall of the flyer was the date on it was after the crash.

jtk
    I used to travel to Mason City, IA on business. The restaurant attached to the local hotel we stayed at had a whole wall dedicated to the crash. Included were framed newspaper pages with all the crash site photos. It seems they printed much more graphic photos back in the day, including shots of all the victims (post crash). Yikes!
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 01-02-2021 at 6:13 AM. Reason: Typo
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Before the '70's ended there was a version of the song played on the radio- around these parts at least- that after every sung sentence a narrated 'pop-up audio' briefly explained the verse just played. So, old news to me
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Thanks,Jim. It's still good ,a primal scream by a guy who can sing. Yeah ,I agree with the Buddy Holly thing.
    What a lot of culture and history (and memories) in that.

JKJ