Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Iron and Chipbreaker upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    You can't tell the finish out of those irons from a video. The complaint I've seen posted here and other forums is that those A2 irons chip, leaving a surface that needs to be sanded or scraped. My one and only A2 iron is on a new Stanley 9 1/2 block plane I use for endgrain, when it chips it leaves a line on the surface.
    It's a bit risky to generalise from one blade, Rafael. I have been using A2 steel for at least 20 years, and must have had dozens in this time, from both Veritas and LN. It's decent steel and produces decent results. There are nicer steels to sharpen, but it is not a limiting factor. I do not automatically find chips in the wake of these blades.

Regards from Perth

Derek

You can't tell the finish out of those irons from a video. The complaint I've seen posted here and other forums is that those A2 irons chip, leaving a surface that needs to be sanded or scraped. My one and only A2 iron is on a new Stanley 9 1/2 block plane I use for endgrain, when it chips it leaves a line on the surface.
    Does the craftsman in the video appear to you to be somebody who would chuck it all at the very end to get lousy results from his hand planes? Not only is the work itself stunning, but the investment in other equipment besides his hand tools quite significant.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCja...Lj3_03Q80iTc_g

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    It's a bit risky to generalise from one blade, Rafael. I have been using A2 steel for at least 20 years, and must have had dozens in this time, from both Veritas and LN. It's decent steel and produces decent results. There are nicer steels to sharpen, but it is not a limiting factor. I do not automatically find chips in the wake of these blades.
    I'm not generalizing, I said I only have one and when it chipped it left tracks on the work. It's been mentioned before that this steel has a tendency to chip if not properly sharpened.

I used my A2 block plane last night on endgrain Bubinga. It did an excellent job, the iron is not chipped and the surface was smooth. I still prefer my OEM irons, though.

Cheers,
    Rafael
    Last edited by Rafael Herrera; 01-25-2021 at 11:17 AM. Reason: I had to say more.

I watched the video also. There is nothing to suggest a high proficiency with planes. I don't see that they know how to usea trying plane or a smoothing plane.

5. Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    A2 does not warp in heat treat like O1. Their commitment to A2 is for less labor costs.
    I wasn't aware of that, but it certainly makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I watched the video also. There is nothing to suggest a high proficiency with planes. I don't see that they know how to usea trying plane or a smoothing plane.
    Just watched a couple of their videos. Gosh, they turn out some beautiful work.

What were they doing wrong?

Thanks for the laugh.

Yes, Clifford, I suspect that all they were doing with the planes was skimming off a little wood between machine work and sanding. In other words they were just covering up their methods.

When we use a trying plane to make a nice flat surface we use winding sticks and straightedge to test the work. This yields very precise results.

When they planed they used sloppy strokes, kind of in an arc, and also a lot of partial strokes. This kind of stuff will show up in the work unless you sand it to get rid of all the evidence.

For a fine planed surface, you want all full length straight passes.

Yes, Clifford, I suspect that all they were doing with the planes was skimming off a little wood between machine work and sanding. In other words they were just covering up their methods.

When we use a trying plane to make a nice flat surface we use winding sticks and straightedge to test the work. This yields very precise results.

When they planed they used sloppy strokes, kind of in an arc, and also a lot of partial strokes. This kind of stuff will show up in the work unless you sand it to get rid of all the evidence.

Here's more crappy work by the same guy (may need to rewind the video to 0):

Block Front Chest Building Process by Doucette and Wolfe Furniture Makers - YouTube

Clearly has no idea how to wield a plane or other hand tools.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 01-28-2021 at 5:50 AM.

And here's the poor, hapless, clueless hack stumbling, staggering, and bludgeoning his way to a set of eight Chippendale chairs :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0suZRvmmIq8

This is Part 1. I think Part 2 will play automatically but not sure.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 01-28-2021 at 8:33 AM.

I can't say for sure what his complete routine for surfaces is, but I'm not seeing any problems with the figured mahogany here though granted it's a video. Anybody have quibbles with how these turned out? Watch the whole thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TNt...fd9r1R1kkAmrqq
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 01-28-2021 at 9:45 AM.

They seemed to have dealt reasonably well with the Claro Walnut used in this project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv6A05yKgiQ
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 01-28-2021 at 4:17 PM.