Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: V Carve Question

Quote Originally Posted by vince mastrosimone View Post
    David thank you for doing that for me. I appreciate your time and knowledge. It looks like the process is quite involved. I was hoping a quick scan would be all that is needed but alas that is not the case. I guess nothing worthwhile comes easy. It’s gonna take me some time to work through this. But thanks again for your help.

do you think turning down the resolution on the scan would help any?
    Hi Vince,
    Turning down the resolution on the scan will not help. You never said what your end goal is with Joseph. Is this simply to learn how to convert bitmaps to vectors, or are you planning to engrave, route, or cut this shape on a cnc router, vinyl cutter, etc? There can be quite a difference between the result of a "quick & dirty" manual trace and that of a more detailed/accurate manual trace. It depends on how closely you want your final part to match the original. In any case, there are several techniques which you could employ to improve the quality of your bitmap image so that auto-tracing becomes practical.

Step 1 - Use a pen as you originally did to trace around your original onto a piece of dark colored paper.
    Step 2 - With a sharp pair of scissors, cut along your traced line to produce a "template" of the original.
    Step 3 - Scan your "template" to produce a bitmap file - as you originally did. If the "template" is too large to fit your scanner, place your "template" on top of a large white piece of paper (for contrasting background) and take a photo with your camera.
    Step 4 - Import your bitmap file to VCarve Pro and auto-trace.
    Step 5 - Edit as required.

I followed steps 1-3 above and here is the result of the scan.

Joseph black scan.jpg
    Here it is imported to VCarve Pro.
    Joseph black scan imported to VC pro.jpg

Trace bitmap.
    Joseph black scan trace bitmap.jpg

Closed vector path after trace.
    Joseph black scan closed vector path.jpg

Here are steps 1-3 but with the "template" photographed instead of scanned.

Photo of black template on white background.
    20210102_174406_resized.jpg

I used Paint.net to crop photo.
    Joseph photo 1.jpg

Import to VCarve Pro.
    Joseph photo 1 imported to VC pro.jpg

Closed vector path after trace.
    Joseph photo - trace bitmap result.jpg

When using "trace bitmap" for photos, it can be helpful to increase the noise filter setting from the default to around 8-10 pixels.
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 01-03-2021 at 12:48 AM.

Vince - here are the resulting dxf files from the "trace bitmap" operations above.
    David
    Attached Files Attached Files

Vince - here are the resulting dxf files from the "trace bitmap" operations above.
    David

David,
    I like your idea for cutting out the outline. I'm going to profile cut the piece from wood. Precision is not that important as it is supposed to be rustic.

I did some tracing but obviously I did something wrong. I know I need to trace on the bitmap layer but should Layer 1 be on as well. I don't why I got the offset. See attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Vince,
    Are you using the "Trace Bitmap" command here, or are you manually tracing? Perhaps you could post the jpeg/bitmap file your are importing to VCarve Pro for your trace. Here is the scanned file I used for the auto-trace. You could try it with this one to see if it makes any difference. I will send you a PM.
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I was following your instructions. I set up the snap options as suggested. It seemed to be going well. Here is the bitmap and the crv files.Thanks again for staying with me. I used the draw curves command not trace bitmap.

Hi Vince,
    I am not able to open files from the trail version of VCarve Pro. So all I have to go by is your Mary jpeg. Here is my manual trace.
    Mary manual trace.jpg
    And here is the quick engrave.
    Mary - quick engrave.jpg
    David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 01-03-2021 at 10:30 PM.

That's odd. Did you open the Joseph crv? Try this one.

anyway, what did I do wrong? Could you tell?

I can't open this one either. Here is the error message.
    trial version.jpg
    Also you are using trial version 10, and I have version 9.5. Older versions apparently cannot open files created on a newer version.
    I don't know what you are doing wrong. I have sent you a Private Message with my email address. Please email me and we can exchange screen shots to figure out what your problem is.
    Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 01-04-2021 at 3:20 AM.

Trial versions cant open anything. And non trial versions can't open anything coming from a trial version. That's so somebody can't generate some vectors shipped somebody with a full version and get a viable workable file back.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 01-04-2021 at 1:28 PM.

Mark is correct. Files from any Vectric trial version are not "cuttable" nor can they be transferred to a licensed version.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Mark is correct. Files from any Vectric trial version are not "cuttable" nor can they be transferred to a licensed version.
    To my knowledge they are not only "not cuttable" but you cant even open them (hence his screen shot)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That is false if you create a file in a trail version and then buy the a licensed version of it it will open as loand as the trial was created on the same computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    That is false if you create a file in a trail version and then buy the a licensed version of it it will open as loand as the trial was created on the same computer.
    We are referencing someone sending a file from a trial version to a licensed copy holder or vice versa. The OP posted a file from a trial version. No one with a paid copy will be able to open the file and ship it back to him or the other way around. Its pretty much a given that when you fork over your cash you will be able to "use" the work you created in the trial version. Thats just basic math.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    To my knowledge they are not only "not cuttable" but you cant even open them (hence his screen shot)
    To clarify, I meant not cuttable with the trial software, if I'm not mistaken. Sorry I wasn't clear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...