Thread: Tree identification

Tree identification

I had a tree trunk about 10-12 inches in diameter, float into my boathouse dock steps, on Lake Burton (Rabun County, northeast Georgia). I cut a piece off today, and cut along the grain to split a section down the middle at a branching. Has nice color, including some spalting.

Long-shot question: can anyone tell me what species of tree this is? I have photos below of the inside face of the part I cut in two, and its outside as well. Also, the bark, and the cut-off end of the trunk. Having been in the water a while, it may not tell us much.

I've read that there is a government agency (Federal) that will identify tree species based on a wood sample mailed to them. Can anyone give me a mailing address and whatever the requirements are for that? I've not done this before.

Thanks.

Robert

Inside face of split section
    Screenshot 2020-12-31 at 3.17.10 PM.jpg

Outside of split section
    Screenshot 2020-12-31 at 3.17.53 PM.jpg

Bark of trunk
    Screenshot 2020-12-31 at 3.18.29 PM.png

Cut-off end of trunk
    Screenshot 2020-12-31 at 3.19.06 PM.jpg

This can help:

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...ication-guide/

Read section 7 for instructions on how to properly examine the end grain. If you do this you can compare your sample to end grain pictures in candidate species at the same web site. If you post a good quality close up picture here someone may recognize the wood type. Don't bother posting a sample that's been smoothed by sanding; use a razor blade as they instruct.

The "Still Stumped" section has info on where to send a sample.

JKJ

You can contact them: https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/

I've taken a piece in and someone ID'd it for me but that was some time ago so I don't know if they do that anymore.

BTW, several times I've had people send me small samples for ID. I'm certainly an amateur I have several references and but am sometimes not too bad on domestic species common to this end of the country. Some are very distinctive and immediately obvious. My results have agreed with the governments the time we sent samples to both. I use a microscope and UV light.

If you want to send a small piece, it need to be crosscut across the grain, in a spot clear of rot and cracks, enough to show at least several rings in the heartwood. My typical samples are about 1"+ long, about 1/2" wide, and maybe 1/4" or so thick (thick enough to hold onto.)

If you want me to take a look, contact me by private message or email through SMC.

JKJ

Here's a photo of the first piece that I've turned, from my "floater" tree trunk. Lots of spalting and bug-holes, and a bark-inclusion marking the start of a branching.

The orange thing around the rim is a strap clamp; this was a wet piece of wood cut to a wall thickness of about 3/8", so I put the strap around it hoping it will reduce cracking as the bowl dries. I expect the bark inclusion is going to require some CA glue treatment, to keep it from coming apart, as it dries.

Screenshot 2021-01-02 at 9.05.29 PM.jpg

Looks like some ambrosia beetles have been in that wood. Woodturners are most familiar with ambrosia beetles in maple but I've also seen it in a few others including cherry. I read they will attack a huge number of species, often with the tree is damaged, dying, or dead.

JKJ

Can you provide any more pics of the bark?