Thread: RZ Mask users: check your mask

RZ Mask users: check your mask

Went to change the filter on my RZ dust mask today and noticed a fairly large sliver of light coming though one of the exhalation valves. The little flimsy plastic valve wasn't tight against the seat. I found there was quite a bit of sawdust underneath the flapper and it was preventing it from closing. It's possible it was closing on inhale, but no easy way to tell and judging by the sawdust stains near the valve I suspect it was staying open a bit, which sort of defeats the purpose of wearing a mask.

I took it all apart and cleaned out the sawdust, flipped the flapper disk around and all seems well now. I think what might happen is that the valve gets damp from my breath, and that encourages sawdust to stick to the area and build up. I'll check it every use now.

Be careful when cleaning, the little flapper valve likes to pop off and hide. DAMHIKT.

I wear an elipse mask when I'm doing any heavy dust producing stuff, but there for a while you couldn't get filters for it because, well you know, so I started wearing the RZ more. But you can get elipse filters again so it's back to the elipse for me most of the time.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Thanks for the heads-up
    After the revolution, who's going to pick up the garbage on Monday morning?
    --Mierle Laderman Ukeles--

Dont know if its the beard but I couldnt get the rzr mask to work for me fogged eyepro pretty bad. worked well while sanding when i could take off eypro though. I switched to the elipse and although you have to stop and dry it out everyso often it does better for me with the fogging.

As far as the light shining through maybe it was a one off, I never noticed on mine

Paul, good information. I also liked the elipse respirator, but gave it to my son this past spring because he works in a hospital. I started using the RZ after seeing Jim Becker recommend it. I like it. But when cleaning the mask, I lost the little flimsy valve. I saw they had a sturdier valve, called the V2 which I purchased. I installed those. I noted Lee Valley has the Elipse in stock and I ordered one. I do like that for heavy dust situations.

Mark I’ve had the elipse mask for over a year. They finally got the replacement filters in stock, so I grabbed a pair and changed them out.
    When you change the filters, inspect the straps carefully. For some reason mine are starting to crack; nothing major but I keep an eye on it so I don’t get caught unawares if it fails during dusty operations.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Can you get replacements for the little flapper valve? I did get some valve covers from RZ so mask could be more useful for COVID prevention, but lost the small disk when installing..

Thanks for that observation. I think many of us sometimes forget to check these "little things" with our in-shop PPE. I'll be taking a look at my RZ next time I'm in the shop, although I doubt I'll see the issue given it hasn't been used as much as it should be....which is also my bad...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Can you get replacements for the little flapper valve? I did get some valve covers from RZ so mask could be more useful for COVID prevention, but lost the small disk when installing..
    You can buy replacement valves from RZ, but not just the flappers, AFAIK. My masks have the version 1 valve, they now have a version 2 valve that is supposed to be improved in a couple of ways. I think I'll order some of the V2 valves.

These valve covers are a GREAT idea for those wanting COVID protection and wanting to protect others they're around. Without the valve cover, your breath will exit the mask rapidly (obviously, as that's their purpose!) so if you're an asymptomatic carrier you could spread it to those around you.

Cool video:
    https://www.nist.gov/news-events/new...ot-slow-spread

Stan, I did not see replacements for the little flapper - probably a 2 cent piece. They do have the valves however for about $8 if I recall ( PLUS shipping - ouch)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Stan, I did not see replacements for the little flapper - probably a 2 cent piece. They do have the valves however for about $8 if I recall ( PLUS shipping - ouch)
    I just ordered a couple sets of the version 2 valves. Fortunately shipping by slow boat was free. One of the improvements they mention for the version 2 valve is that the flapper is better protected so it isn't so easy to "lose". If I just needed a flapper, I'd be inclined to email them and see if they'd send you one or two without having to buy the whole valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Mark I’ve had the elipse mask for over a year. They finally got the replacement filters in stock, so I grabbed a pair and changed them out.
    When you change the filters, inspect the straps carefully. For some reason mine are starting to crack; nothing major but I keep an eye on it so I don’t get caught unawares if it fails during dusty operations.
    Thanks for the tip Aaron. I will keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Fortunately shipping by slow boat was free.
    Good deal!