Thread: Magnifying lamp and other saw filing helpers

Magnifying lamp and other saw filing helpers

I'm sharpening more and more and I feel like I'm getting a lot better. Currently using a sharpie on teeth and wearing a small led light band on my head. My wife thinks its funny...

Can anyone recommend what magnifying lamp they are using?

Are there any other gadgets you use you'd like to share?

Are there any you think are a waste of money?

I'm using some bahco files; what files do you use?

Matthew

Blog Entries
    Are you sawing crosscut or rip? I have a saw set as well as a flat mill bastard file.

If the tooth line needs fixing I file it flat and re-tooth.

I use Bahco files also. I use a combination head light and magnification glasses because I need readers. The only gadget I have is the “Veritas” saw file guide. I find it helpful as a reference tool. I’m beginning also, but have been reasonably successful so far. I bought a well reviewed saw set from Amazon with a magnifying glass built in and it seems to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake M Williams View Post
    I'm sharpening more and more and I feel like I'm getting a lot better. Currently using a sharpie on teeth and wearing a small led light band on my head. My wife thinks its funny...

Can anyone recommend what magnifying lamp they are using?

Are there any other gadgets you use you'd like to share?

Are there any you think are a waste of money?

I'm using some bahco files; what files do you use?

Matthew

I don't wear glasses, and found that any of the cheap, magnifying headsets gave me a headache very quickly. I found that a Lot of light was good enough. I have some lighted magnifiers, but they all interfere with the hand/eye co-ordination because the distance is distorted by the magnification, and slow up the process of saw sharpening too much. Brightech is the brand name of the magnifying lights that I found were pretty good, for other things.

I have a "head magnifier" with an LED that works great for tings like this.

I see on on Amazon for $10 + tax.

I am sure that I paid more for mine, but it allows me to take the magnification to the work rather than needing to pack up something larger.