Thread: Epilog Legend 36ext 120 Watt possibly failing tube?

Epilog Legend 36ext 120 Watt possibly failing tube?

Hello all, I fear my laser tube may be failing but thought I would swing on here before I get ahead of myself. And I also want to know how to protect my tube if I do replace it so the tube lasts as long as possible.
    I used to be able to run 1/8" baltic birch at 65% speed, 95% power. It did depend on the material where occasionally some would not cut all the way through. Now however I am struggling to cut through at 25% speed, 90% power. I have checked alignment, cleaned my mirrors and lenses, checked focus, checked table level, ventilation, and made sure my air nozzle is not blocking the laser. I'm not sure what else there is to check... this all seems to point to a failing tube but I don't know if I'm missing anything easy. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    -Mason

I also wanted to add, we do run this laser quite heavily, pretty much 40 hrs a week and running about 5-15 minute jobs. temperature in the building is mostly consistent. I use the hex grid for better ventilation.

What I know (to a point ) about RF lasers---

I just got my 40w Synrad back from Evergreen recently- It was working one day, then just died the next.

The main problem: Electronics issues. However, after repairing the electronics and TWO recharges, the best it could muster was 30.8 watts. It's working great, in most cases the power loss isn't noticeable, cutting tape and thicker than 1/16" thick Rowmark is where I notice differences. WHICH I wasn't doing much of in the weeks before it died. My point, it was probably losing power slowly but I wasn't noticing it. The reason given for the power loss, which I wasn't even aware of: bad mirrors within the tube. I didn't even know they HAD mirrors...

Speaking of electronics, my BIL has a 12x24 Gravograph LS800 40w, machine, my 40w is an LS900, same machine but 24x24. About 5 years ago (!) his machine suddenly lost exactly half its power. Our rep tested his beam, came out to just over 20w. These RF lasers have two power supplies (not sure the technical name) that drive them, and if something goes wrong with one of them, the laser will continue to work, but at half power. We've never even checked his laser, we just know that's the problem. But he made do with half power, and it's remained constant to this day. Go figure?

So, electronics, mirrors, and C02 gas seem to be what makes these things tick. SLOW loss of power over time seems to indicate a gas recharge is needed, and now I find out, mirrors (not a cheap fix by the way, but still far less than a new tube). A SUDDEN loss of power is indicative of an electronics failure, which btw is the least expensive repairs to have made.

As far as what to do to 'preserve' your laser? Not a clue, just use it. My 40w machine will be 17 years old in a few months, I have a GCC with a going-on 16 year old 30w tube, it shows no signs of slowing down --knock on my head on all accounts!
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 12-30-2020 at 11:20 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

So likely a recharge is needed, it didn't seem too sudden so I would assume not electronics.

My table might be slightly out of alignment.. any tips on how to fix that?

Epilog gave me a quote to replace the whole tube since they apparently don't refill tubes from my machine. They want around $8,500! Is that expected? Are there any other good places to go that refill/replace laser tubes?

Try Photovac https://photovaclaser.com/general/ir...ued-customers/

They rebuilt a 45 watt Coherent for me several years back and it's still running at full power. I had the optics replaced and the total was around $3000.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks! Does anyone know anything about the RF tubes in Epilog legend 120 watts from 2006? Does photovac service them? Does anyone?