Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duct Delivery

Duct Delivery

Now that my new DC is built, wired and in place, i measured out all my ductwork and put in order in to my local HVAC and woke up to it already dropped off by my garage. Three fittings, including the one that is my starter fitting off the DC is being transferred to my local location from one of there other locations so those might not show up till tomorrow - I hope. That will give me the a new years even/day project.

All my parts are 26g smoke pipe, and the nice thing about smoke pipe / flue pipe wye's is the air flow is expected to go from multiple sources into a chimney stack, so the crimp side of the fitting is oriented correctly for the air-flow going from the machine to the DC.

'Looking forward to photos of you building that duct system! Make sure you have your foil tape ready, too, if it wasn't on your order. from the HVAC folks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    'Looking forward to photos of you building that duct system! Make sure you have your foil tape ready, too, if it wasn't on your order. from the HVAC folks.
    Jim,

Thanks for the tip. I have foil tap and sealant mastic, and plenty of duct strapping. I grew up in a plumbing and heating family, and hold an hvacr license so luckily I have all the duct cutting tools. And yes, I HATE doing ductwork, however since it's for my hobby, I might enjoy doing it this time.

I'm a big fan of the foil tape for DC systems. It's "darn sticky" as you know and moldable so you get a nice seal.

BTW, I feel the same way about insulation...a former father-in-law was in the business and I worked for him for a couple of years. Don't like the work but at least I know how to do it correctly.
    --

I'm a big fan of the foil tape for DC systems. It's "darn sticky" as you know and moldable so you get a nice seal.

BTW, I feel the same way about insulation...a former father-in-law was in the business and I worked for him for a couple of years. Don't like the work but at least I know how to do it correctly.
    Ok, I would rather install ductwork than deal with insulation, since no matter how much PPE I wear, i still feel like it's all over me and in my lungs. The only difference would be when using the fire batt.

baby powder helps for insulation. I have done my share building insulated duct work, roasters, spray dryers and it still sucks. A tyvek suit, thin gloves, baby powder and a dust mask help, along with a cool shower so it washes out of your pores.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Yeaglin View Post
    baby powder helps for insulation. I have done my share building insulated duct work, roasters, spray dryers and it still sucks. A tyvek suit, thin gloves, baby powder and a dust mask help, along with a cool shower so it washes out of your pores.
    The best cure to insulation itch is to hire a company to come in and do it for you. Ironically all the times I have needed to do insulation, I didn't hire anyway and dealt with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    The best cure to insulation itch is to hire a company to come in and do it for you. Ironically all the times I have needed to do insulation, I didn't hire anyway and dealt with it.
    Amen to the first part, and unfortunately, "true dat" on the second here, too...
    --

Started the ducting today and with all had a lot of interruptions, but at least got something done. I have some of the long 90's built and the strait pipe ready to go in for the run that goes back behind the DC.

I decided to add a connection for the flex dust connection I use on the drill press - so tired of dragging the wet-dry over there. Since it's only 2.5" i'll leave another 4" port open when using the drill press.

Still didn't put mastic on the elbows and in the picture, the 6x4x4 hanging on the bottom is not 'installed' just a test fit and held by normal duct tape for now. i'll figure that one out later.

Manifold out of DC.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Justin Rapp; 12-31-2020 at 3:09 PM.

Justin, be careful with all those bends...they can seriously degrade your system's performance. It's also best if at all possible to have at least a few feet of straight run directly to the inlet to reduce churning of the air. I realize you have to do what you have to do with the space and headroom you have, but every bend is the equivalent of a much longer section of straight duct.
    --

Justin, be careful with all those bends...they can seriously degrade your system's performance. It's also best if at all possible to have at least a few feet of straight run directly to the inlet to reduce churning of the air. I realize you have to do what you have to do with the space and headroom you have, but every bend is the equivalent of a much longer section of straight duct.
    Yes - I do realize that and really didn't have too much choice unless I 100% redesigned my shop. I did try some re-planning and would have ended up with twice and much duct to put the DC somewhere else, so a few bends is better than going all the way around the room due to other things in the way. This is however why I went up to 3hp instead of a 2 to make sure I still have enough pull from each machine.

Sounds like a plan! And good move up-sizing...it will be beneficial.
    --

It really makes a difference . Use two 45's in place of a 90 deg. elbow , get the most gradual , gentle or "long" sweep possible .

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    It really makes a difference . Use two 45's in place of a 90 deg. elbow , get the most gradual , gentle or "long" sweep possible .
    There are no 90's in my ductwork, except the one already connected to my planner. All my turns are pairs of 45's to make a 90, giving me a longer sweet to make the turns.