Thread: Bathroom valet

Bathroom valet

My bathroom counter was a mess, piled with keys and misc other loose items stuffed in an open tray, or just sitting on the counter itself. So I made this. The case is 1/4" thick poplar, dovetailed together. The drawer faces are 1/2" thick poplar with 1/4" thick sides and back, all dovetailed. Finish is multiple coats of wipe-on poly.

I hadnt done inset drawers before - learned some lessons. I also hadn't done dovetails in 1/4" thick softwood before. It was a little more tricky than working with a thicker board. After reading the archives here, I used 14* for the dovetails. After a practice run, I found that to get a tighter fit, I had to cut the tails very slightly wider than my knife line. When I did that, the material compressed and gave me a tight fit. (I only split one side, one time, by doing this. )

Nothing earth shattering, but it was fun to do.

Fred

20201230_073021.jpg
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-30-2020 at 9:00 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Looks great Fred. Great way to get organized. Nice work on the thin material.

Blog Entries
    Well done Fred. The thinner the material the trickier the dovetail. My cheat is to use a fine rasp or a file to 'finish' trim the fit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like it, clean lines. I could use one for organization also.

Phil, Jim, Mark - Thank you guys!
    Happy New Year!
    Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Well done Fred – nicely executed and super practical! Thanks for sharing.

That's nice. The thin wood and dovetails are are just right, and that was the hard part. Don't like the really big knobs...
    and that would be the easy part to change.

Thanks Mike! Thanks Mel. Yeah, I debated the big knobs a couple times. But I wanted simple and easy to grip and these are what I could find locally. I found some smaller ones at LV, and of course as you said, they're easy to change out if I come to dislike them.

Fred

Well done sir! Doing new stuff keeps one happy.

Thanks Curt!

Very nice and clean.

The only problem is that you will fill it up and then need to make another one next year, which I guess is tomorrow.

Thanks Andrew!